PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow fry still living

Lady Hobbs
05-25-2008, 01:41 PM
But I don't know how these guys are making it. These fish are such small fry that they are often kept in petre dishes by breeders and have a high mortality rate.

I can understand why they are so expensive to buy. Even on AquaBid 3 rainbows are about $40 and another $49 for shipping. (I don't understand their shipping charges! Even the online fish stores charge $29 for shipping no matter how many fish you buy.)

Rainbows spawn daily, about 30 eggs a day, so it would be a constant deal if you wanted to raise them but feeding them is a whole new matter. They can not eat brine shrimp or any of the normal fry foods for some time. They need powder foods and other liquid foods........all of which I do not have......so why they are still alive remains a mystery. I tried some egg yolk but that only made a mess of things. They can be raised in green water, also.

So, I am struggling thru with these babies with none of the right foods for them so we'll see how it goes. But, for the price of bows, it would be to your benefit to learn how to feed them and raise your own. I will see if I can order some powder food for them but I am not planning on anything living. The fry are barely visible to the naked eye when they first hatch. Dots!

How do you feed a dot! :hmm3grin2orange:

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-25-2008, 01:42 PM
What species of fish are you talking about here? LOL

Lady Hobbs
05-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Did you read the title? Rainbows. Australian rainbows to be precise.

Tolley
05-25-2008, 01:45 PM
have you tried infusoria?

What to feed fry you cant even see?

Food you cant even see!! :19:

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-25-2008, 01:46 PM
*doh!* missed that one hobbs. LOL

Lady Hobbs
05-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Yea, been talking to those in the rainbow forum that do this all the time but I would rather not get into foods you have to make or mess with. I'm not planning to become a breeder but would like to "save" at least a dozen of these babies.

Hey...............I just read you can make infusoria from plain old lettuce in a bucket of water. Off I go to try this "receipt."

Tolley
05-25-2008, 01:50 PM
it isnt as hard as it sounds!

simply get an empty clean jar. Fill it with aquarium water. Add some lettuce leaves. Then leave for a few days.

Bingo! fry food!

Minderella83
05-25-2008, 01:55 PM
How does that make infusoria?

Lady Hobbs
05-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Will it work better in the sun or in the dark?

Gave me a perfect thing to use my big change jar for.....since I have no change in it. LOL

Lady Hobbs
05-25-2008, 02:02 PM
How does that make infusoria?

http://bettalistserv.tripod.com/Infusoria.htm

This talks of straining, etc. Other sites don't even mention that much.

Tolley
05-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Will it work better in the sun or in the dark?

Gave me a perfect thing to use my big change jar for.....since I have no change in it. LOL

lol!

It will more than likely do well in either. Though say in better sunlgiht the water would be a bit warmer that would probably help.

Lady Hobbs
05-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks a lot. One of the folks I was chatting with on the rainbow forum told me they tossed a bunch of plants in a bucket and set them outside in a pail of water for a couple weeks. When they returned, the pail was full of fry. Apparently the plants work as a food source for them as well and may have been getting something from the hornwort in their tank.

You can buy just egg mops of rainbow eggs but where those people get $49 for shipping is beyond me. Even if it did take 3 days for the mops to arrive mailed priority mail for $7, the eggs would survive. I don't get where they're coming from.

Drip Loop
05-25-2008, 02:38 PM
egg mops?

Oh one thing. That change jar.. Do you think the copper and other change will leave any sort of residue that could be harmful to the infusoria? Just a thought.

Lady Hobbs
05-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Naw......glass is not porous.

Eggs mops are something that the fish spawn in. They are collected and sold to the buyer to raise the young.

I got my fry without trying. I decided to move my java moss from one tank to another. Whoaaaaaa........fry all over the place a day or two later.

houie925
05-25-2008, 04:45 PM
might fork for your fry, I make instant green water for my baby ghost shrimp by putting salad greens with water in a blender for a few minutes then scooping off all the pulp and straining it through a net. the resulting green water seems to be working for them. you also might be able to use spirulina flour you can find in the health food section.

Lady Hobbs
05-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Good idea. Thanks. Never heard of spirulina flour.

Here's another one:

Infusion Recipes: Standard recipes involve boiling hay or grass in water and using the cooled “tea.” One rabbit food pellet per jar is about the same thing. Other infusoria growers blenderize lettuce leaves. Some just grab a handful of aquarium plants and squeeze the juice (and infusoria) from them. In other words, you can invent your own formula.

Tolley
05-25-2008, 10:08 PM
yeah that works too. If you have amazon swords they are good. Thick with juice!

Dave66
05-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Hobbsy,
You'll have to feed them infusoria for seven to ten days, followed by Rotifers, then BBS. Just use the next larger food when they start to ignore the smaller size. Standard for wee tiny egg-layer fry.
Yep, you could use green water, but to get a rich enough culture to raise a bunch of fry, you'd have to use the method in my culture manual. Sorry to say it takes a good deal of work to raise egg-layer fry.

Dave

houie925
05-26-2008, 04:49 AM
Spirulina is becoming a popular nutritional supplement otherwise I'd have probably never heard of spirulina flour either.

Lady Hobbs
05-26-2008, 05:27 AM
What the heck do they eat in the wild? Gunk from the plants, I suppose, until they can fend for themselves. My tank now has fry that appear to be from one day to one week. My firemouth fry are a breeze to these fish. I just gave the firemouth dried shrimp eggs and crushed flakes.

Dave66
05-26-2008, 06:37 AM
What the heck do they eat in the wild? Gunk from the plants, I suppose, until they can fend for themselves. My tank now has fry that appear to be from one day to one week. My firemouth fry are a breeze to these fish. I just gave the firemouth dried shrimp eggs and crushed flakes.

Lots of micro-crustaceans, like copepod naupili, for them to eat in nature, Hobbsy. We get them in our established tanks, but the fish eat all the adults they can find, so not many if any naupili for them to eat. Rotifers are half the size of BBS, and are about the same size as the baby copepods.
Cichlid fry are pie compared to the little egg layer babies.

Dave

Lady Hobbs
05-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Thanks Dave. I would definately have to improve on this if I intended to have fry all the time (which I don't.) I would be happy if I could keep a dozen of these rainbows alive, tho. The guy I buy my plants from has powdered foods so guess I will order some and see how it works.

A person should definately get rid of fry they don't want before they get cute. There's no way I can house all these firemouth fry but they are wayyyy to cute to destroy now. And of course, no where to sell them here.

redrum69
05-09-2011, 09:08 PM
hey tolley can you elaborate a little more.do u blanch the lettuce before,how may days,how long will it last how to feed..etc......
thanks.
omae

Cliff
05-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Redrum69, check your PMs

Lady Hobbs
05-10-2011, 12:38 AM
Closing this three year old post!

People, set your options so you are not responding to old, old threads please.