PDA

View Full Version : Murky Water?

Chrissy
11-27-2006, 11:41 PM
I recently set up a 5 gallon tank to house a betta in. The water has gotten a bit murky since I put in three plants (java fern, java moss, and one other that started with an 'a', I can't remember the name). I was just wondering if this was normal or not. I did a 1.5 gallon water change and that seemed to clear it up a bit.

There is currently no betta in the tank and no filter. The plants have been in since Saterday.

Also, do I need a filter with a betta? I have had bettas in the past and have been told they don't need a filter, but would it be better to keep a larger tank clean?

Any input would be appreciated.:)

Abbeys_Mom
11-28-2006, 12:45 AM
The choice to use a filter is up to you. They can live without, but it does help between water changes. With the tank only being 5g you might want to look into a sponge filter, there are lots of types. Most run of your air pump and provide filtration and aeration.

f1oored
11-28-2006, 04:12 AM
Bettas can breathe at the top of the water so water conditions don't tend to bother them as much as they would other fish. That being said, an aqua clear mini can be had for less than 15 bucks and will make the tank a much nicer place for your betta.

My betta is in an eclipse 6 gallon with the filter and he is much more active than before when he was in an unfiltered bowl. A filter is going to keep water quality much higher and your betta will love you for it. Just because he can survive in crappy water doesn't mean he wants to.

kimmers318
11-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Without any filtration you are looking at a bowl of water sitting around and stagnating...without nutrients for the plants, they may be dying. Do they look healthy and green? How long was the water sitting in the tank before you added the plants? I know many people keep bettas in unfiltered bowls, and I tried it once, didn't like it. I know what happens to a bowl of water that sits around outside for a couple of days...YUCK!

Chrissy
11-28-2006, 10:47 PM
The plants are all green and healthy looking. The water was in for a day or two before I added the plants. (it was all dechlorinated first, too)

The water looks a lot less cloudy after I let the water settle after I did the water change yesterday.

Chrissy
11-28-2006, 11:03 PM
I was also wondering what kind of filter would be best. What kind wouldn't have too strong of a current? I have a Whisper 2-5, but it is missing some parts. Would that be ok? (after I got the other parts)

Abbeys_Mom
11-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Looks like it clearing up. Alls well that ends well. :)

f1oored
11-29-2006, 02:08 AM
Is the tank a standard 5 gallon? If so I would try the aquaclear mini. I'm not sure what type of filter your whisper is. If it is a bubble filter (uses an air pump) I wouldn't bother with it. Even if it is a power filter, it may be hard finding parts for it. A new power filter for that size tank is going to cost you less than 15 bucks. And I don't think it is going to move the water so much that is causes your betta stress.

kimmers318
11-29-2006, 06:24 AM
Another option is to return the tank after getting a set up that includes a filter, transfer all of your stuff to new tank, clean the old one, take it back and tell them you hate it because it doesn't have a filter! The first tank my daughter picked out was a hideous glow in the dark thing with UGF. Her fish died right away (might have something to do with me not knowing squat about fish yet) and that helped me to convince her that we should get a better tank. Mommy chipped in on the extra cost and we love it! Of course....completely off subject, but Mommy adding to Riley's Christmas money led to Mommy having to let Mikayla also get something extra of equal value, which became another hamster, and now we have MANY hamsters! Anyone want one?????

Chrissy
11-30-2006, 11:23 PM
Thanks, I'll definatley look into getting that filter!

The tank was an old one that we've had for a couple years, so returning it isn't an option.