PDA

View Full Version : Help My Cory!!!

TehTANK
11-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Hello,

My Cory is not very big. Probably 2-3 inches long. Anyway, I noticed last night that his belly is extreamly bloated. It is huge! I hope I am not going to lose him. Is this common? If not then what could be causing this? Can anyone help?

Abbeys_Mom
11-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Is his anus red? It could be bloat. I would quarantine him right away regardless of what it might be.

TehTANK
11-27-2006, 04:43 PM
I plan on it as soon as I get home. I am not sure what is going on. I know that a thermometer broke in my tank a while back and I had a Blue Convict that had the same thing happen to him and he ended up dieing. I hope there isn't any trace of the thermometer left becaus if there is do you think that could have something to do with it?

TehTANK
11-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Here are some pictures. I fed my Oscar and my Cory came up to the top and took one of his pellets and ate it. He is eating so that is a good thing right????

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/ffanzone/DSCN3095.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/ffanzone/DSCN3094.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/ffanzone/DSCN3093.jpg

Lady Hobbs
11-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Has he been eating greens? Maybe some peas or some other greens may help incase he's constipated. My platies look the same way. So fat almost mis-shaped.

TehTANK
11-28-2006, 12:57 AM
Yeah but this was an overnight thing. One day skinny the next day big and fat like this. I might throw some greens in there for him to eat. I am just really worried about him. Anyone here have any idea what is going on with my Cory?

kimmers318
11-28-2006, 12:39 PM
I am not sure what the heck is going on but have to ask what kind of cory that is...haven't seen one before....cool looking little guy. Several things come to mind...bloat (but not sure if cories are prone to it), internal parasites, or maybe even a female laden with eggs???? Try doing some general cory research for ideas on where to head. The biggest reason I don't suspect bloat is because I believe that is generally an illness that fish get when they should eat more greens and less protein, and my cory's get bloodworms almost daily without seeing any issues.

jeffs99dime
11-28-2006, 12:42 PM
that looks a lot like a leopard pleco. pretty cool!

TehTANK
11-28-2006, 01:28 PM
He is super cool and I am really worried about him. I just hope he will be alright. Like I said, he has been eating so it isn't like he isn't feeling well. He looks like his guts are about to blow out though. I have done general research on the web and have found nothing about bloating or anything about inlarged stomache area. I hope he is going to be okay......:(

jeffs99dime
11-28-2006, 01:34 PM
i hope so too. good luck!

kimmers318
11-28-2006, 09:13 PM
If you suspect bloat and he is still eating well I would try limiting his diet to greens only for a few days. If it is some type of pleco it may even need wood to rasp on, like bogwood. Peas are supposed to be great for constipation. The bogwood you may not be able to get ready soon enough since it usually requires several good boils and soakings before it can sink in your tank. Most plecos require wood in their diet which is why I came home with bogwood for each of my bristlenoses when I purchased them. Then I liked it so much I bought another for my 65 gal and frequently see the rescued plec rasping away at it.

TehTANK
11-28-2006, 09:30 PM
I think i am going to peas tonight. Frozen or soft do you think? I am not sure what it is but I am willing to try anything!

kimmers318
11-29-2006, 06:36 AM
If using frozen thaw it first....canned rinse well to avoid salt. Squish the pea so that the center comes out and toss the skin in the garbage.

jeffs99dime
11-29-2006, 06:46 AM
you could also blanch the food too. (putting the item in microwave until it becomes soft.)

TehTANK
11-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Thanks guys. I did take the skins off. He ate some. So now I just sit and wait I guess........