PDA

View Full Version : Snails Haven't Bred.

Kayla-Bug
05-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Hi all.
I have a question about my Blue Mystery snails. I've had them for months now and I bought them from someone on Aqua Bid. They are about (-----------------------)
that wide and some just a tad smaller. How come they haven't bred yet? I haven't seen any eggs, clutches or anything like that. I know they lay their eggs above the water-line, but still. Nothing. Any reason for this?

MandyL
05-23-2008, 08:15 PM
How many do you have? It's possible for them to be all the same sex.

Wild Turkey
05-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Yup mandy may be dead on there, of course if have quite a few, lowering the water level an inch or two will help, and causes them less stress. An abundance of food has also been known to help induce

Kayla-Bug
05-23-2008, 10:25 PM
When I bought them, there were supposed to be 10 plus a few extras, and I think I ended up with under 10. I've been feeding them LOTS of collard greens. And I usually leave the water level a little low for them. The only thing I could think of was they were all the same sex. I asked the lady I got them from if she knew the genders and she said they were just random, so I have no clue.

MandyL
05-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Interesting.... What's your pH and hardness like? Perhaps they won't breed if the water isn't hard/alkaline enough for them?

Wild Turkey
05-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Sounds like you're pretty much doing everything you can, monitor ur levels, keep the amount of food up, and just be patient, it will happen. If the ph is below 7 ur in big trouble, other than that it shouldnt really matter. But less than 7 and their shells will rot away

Incredulous_Ed
05-23-2008, 10:51 PM
Try lowering the water level. I doubt its because you only have females or males because Im pretty sure they can change sex.

Kayla-Bug
05-24-2008, 12:07 AM
I don't have any test kits, but I don't think it's below 7 because their shells look fine.

Incredulous_Ed
05-24-2008, 12:09 AM
Its not so much the ph, but the calcium level in the tank. If it is low, their shells will witehr away.

Kayla-Bug
05-24-2008, 12:13 AM
I'm feeding them collard greens which I've heard they are a good source of calcium for them.

Incredulous_Ed
05-24-2008, 12:18 AM
Then there shouldnt be a problem with their shells

Kayla-Bug
05-24-2008, 12:25 AM
There's no problem with their shells at the moment. But I just don't know why they haven't bred yet.

houie925
05-26-2008, 10:48 PM
temperature? mystery snails mostly breed in the warmer months. what's the temp in the tank?

Wild Turkey
05-27-2008, 02:51 AM
Its not so much the ph, but the calcium level in the tank. If it is low, their shells will witehr away.

Hey ed like my new title? LOL

Yea just please make sure you get the ph above 7, seriously it will make the snails ROT no joke. But if you see visable damage to the shells its probably the calcium. The greens are a good start like you said. Cucumber and other green veggies seem to be a favorite, i'll post u a pic you'll appreciate when i get my cam up