PDA

View Full Version : Vivariums,does anyone have experiance with?

smaug
05-23-2008, 05:28 PM
I am in process of getting a poison dart frog vivarium going.By process I mean i have am empty 20gal tank to put it in:c3: Does anyone have any tips/resources to help me along.Of course I want live plants and running water.Any help would be appreciated.

Fishguy2727
05-23-2008, 10:51 PM
Here are some pics of my 55 viquarium. 2/3 water, 1/3 land. Made with the old Tetra/Second Nature Viquarium Water's Edge Viquarium. All the plants are live. Most are house plants usually put in topsoil, but these have their roots submerged all the time and do very well. The bamboo in the water actually works really well. There are a bunch of guppies in the water. I have two firebelly toads and two firebelly newts. Many would say these can't go together, but I have found that in a larger enough and properly setup tank they are fine if they are kept fed. In this setup I could also house anoles, crested geckos (arguably), different day geackos, and many types of other geckos (just one or two depending on which, not all of these).

blackjungle.com is a great resource for this. Most use egg crate to create the land area. There was a thread on aquariacentral's vivarium forum that had some really good links too, you may want to search for those. Some people use those ceramic balls, but I don't see how those are any better than gravel or bioballs or anything else.

There are some really good books out there that could help A LOT. Try asking on a dartfrog forum what they would suggest. Also check out Borders or whatever book store you prefer to see what they happen to have in. You may be able to just find some good ones on amazon.com.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/IMG_2014.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/IMG_2029.jpg

ladyoutlaw50
05-24-2008, 12:02 AM
I don't anything about these type of aquariums, but just wanted to let you know it looks awesome!! I must admit I have never seen anything like it!! Very nice!!

smaug
05-24-2008, 03:04 AM
My lfs has quite a few of these in there reptile room.I have been hooked on the looks of them since I have first seen them.I now have an empty 20 gal so I can get at it.I am very much looking forward to it,thx fishguy.

cocoa_pleco
05-24-2008, 03:40 AM
no tips, but i like the mix. ive seen nice tanks around 90g with lots of fake silk plants hanging in the back, and 6" high of water in the front, with danios and corys in the water and firebelly newts and toads on the land part, they look cool. Once i move my 90g stock to the 650g im thinking of moving my firebellies to the 90 and making a vivarium

houie925
05-25-2008, 02:49 PM
1. decide exactly what dart frogs you want and set up your paludarium with their specific needs in mind, some species have needs very different from others

2. set up and get everything well established before you add any dart frogs

3. start a flightless fruitfly culture

smaug
05-25-2008, 05:41 PM
thx houie!