PDA

View Full Version : ive done it,, ive got shrimp!!!! pics inc

angelcakes
05-23-2008, 03:05 PM
ive got shrimp........woohoo:hmm3grin2orange:
after seeing everybodys shrimps i found some in a lfs and got some they look good,there in with my male betta which the lady said was fine, so these are my first shrimp, in the shop they were labelled up as yamato????(i think its spelt wrong) shrimp,but when i got to the till the lady said are these the common shrimp?
as these are my first shrimp what are they???
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh47/angelfishe/shrimp008.jpg

Tolley
05-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Very ncie angel!!! Yamato = amano shrimp! :19:

angelcakes
05-23-2008, 03:27 PM
thanks tolls:19: :19:

doug z
05-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Looking good!!

What are you feeding them?

Are they gorging on the algae in your tank?

Do shrimp care wether they have other shrimp of their kind around, I wonder? Like shoaling fish?

angelcakes
05-23-2008, 03:41 PM
thanks doug :19: bloodworms and algae, i was told they like bloodworm:19:

doug z
05-23-2008, 03:44 PM
i was told they like bloodworm

Really?

I had no idea they were omnivorous..

Do you have to give them a day or so per week without food, like fish?

Do they still go after the algae in your tank once you started feeding them staples like bloodworm, etc?

What do you give them for algae?

angelcakes
05-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Really?

I had no idea they were omnivorous..

Do you have to give them a day or so per week without food, like fish?

Do they still go after the algae in your tank once you started feeding them staples like bloodworm, etc?
ive only had them a few hours but the've ate bloodworm and still got on the algae,

Drip Loop
05-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Shrimp are natural scavengers. For the most part they will feed on whats available. (assuming anything is available)

Ofcourse certain species have their favorite foods, but I have yet to find a picky shrimp. (just in my limited experience, im sure theres exceptions somewhere)

doug z
05-23-2008, 03:49 PM
Shrimp are really growing on me..

But no, I'll stick with the clean-up crew I envisioned originally (otos and BN)..

Maybe for my next tank (thinking of doing a straight-up Iwagumi).. :)

Keep us updated on how they're doing!

I'm particularly interested to know whether they will get lazy and just eat what you give them, or whether they'll keep on eating the algae in your tank..

angelcakes
05-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Shrimp are really growing on me..

But no, I'll stick with the clean-up crew I envisioned originally (otos and BN)..

Maybe for my next tank (thinking of doing a straight-up Iwagumi).. :)

Keep us updated on how they're doing!

I'm particularly interested to know whether they will get lazy and just eat what you give them, or whether they'll keep on eating the algae in your tank..
yeah no problem i will keep you updated,:19:

sandy_n
05-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Cute...I've been considering getting shrimp for awhile. You'll have a bunch soon, lol. :hmm3grin2orange:

MandyL
05-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Nice amanos!

Doug, the only shrimp that I've heard that will only eat leftover food if it's available and leave the algae, is the ghost shrimp. The amanos and cherries should keep the algae under control no matter what else is available, as far as I know.

doug z
05-23-2008, 07:44 PM
No ghost shrimp..

Got it, thanks! :)

angelcakes
05-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Nice amanos!

Doug, the only shrimp that I've heard that will only eat leftover food if it's available and leave the algae, is the ghost shrimp. The amanos and cherries should keep the algae under control no matter what else is available, as far as I know.
thats good to hear thanks mandy:19: