PDA

View Full Version : discus companion

vonhinkle
12-07-2005, 09:17 AM
I have a 40 gallon show tank with 1 small 2 inch discus and about the same size angle also. I was thinking of getting a schoal of small fish maybe neon tetras or something like that. what is a good shoaling companion for a discus? I also wanted to add a german blue ram, I read they are relativly peacefull would one of them be alright too? thanx

aquafreak
12-07-2005, 10:03 AM
German blue rams might be ok. I would get more than one though.

Neon tetras are a bit risky. Sometimes they make good companions for discus and angelfish, sometimes the discus/anglefish eats them. The fact that you discus and angelfish is till small might help you since thara are a better chance of them getting along and don't eat the neon tetras if they grow up together with the tetras.

rebelagent
12-07-2005, 09:59 PM
I did that the angel fish attacked the tetras :\. I would advise against it. Try getting fish of the same size. It may keep them from beating each other up pending what type and nature they have.
And a german blue ram is a good idea. I like them ^_^ Never owned one but my uncle has one.

aquafreak
12-08-2005, 01:15 AM
You really don't have to get fish that grow to the same size as the discus but fish that are a little larger than neons are recommended.

Linda
01-05-2006, 12:55 AM
Is there anything else to consider besides size? I'm keeping my discus in his own aquairum, but it would be nice to add some more fish to it since it's quite a large tank.

William
01-05-2006, 02:48 AM
Well. You should also make sure that all fish you keep with your discus (I recommend keeping more than one) is of a none aggressive desposition.

Suitable fish includes dwarf cichlids and sturisoma catfish among many others.

jocky120
01-06-2006, 07:50 PM
did you say keeping 1 small discus no no no never keep 1 on it's own they are a social fish ( till they breed that it ) and so timid they need numbers to make them feel safe you need more discus then think about smaller tank mates. and i hope you have a deep tank discus like deep tanks the deeper the better, so spend your money on another 2 or 3 at least discus PLEASE

cheese
11-03-2006, 02:14 AM
Hi there I keep a large school of rummy nose in my discus tank because they can tolerate the higher temperatures and are quite a bit larger than neons. Either some plecos or I have 8x peppermints in there aswell.

cheers
daniel

JudyS
11-30-2006, 04:25 AM
I am rather new at this but I know that some algae eaters will feed off the natural coating on the side of the discus.
In our 55 gal tank we have about :

15 cardinals
3 clown loaches
4 ottos (which we watch very close that they do not feed on the discus)
4 or 5 guppies
6 beautiful discus with variety of colors.

Incredulous_Ed
11-30-2006, 08:32 PM
I think cory cats would be a good companion, beause they are always at the bottom.

Fishguy2727
12-01-2006, 02:02 AM
Cories are great with discus. Ottos are really well behaved. They don't usually bother other fish or even live plants. My bristlenose plecos don't bother my discus.

Lady Hobbs
12-05-2006, 12:49 PM
More disus! I wouldn't put an angel with them as angels can be territorial and ornery. But then, it's said they can be together so who knows. I am curious what you keep your water hardness and pH at for your Discus. I would love to try to keep some but I know the water is supposed to be very soft. That would mean I'd have to buy a water softener of some sort. Probably a portable unit.

jestep
03-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Some tetras are fine:
Black Neons
Neons
Cardinals
Rummy Nose
Glowlight

Dwarf Cichlids:
Blue, Gold and Bolivian Rams

Small Pleco's (Don't get the nasty black one's, they get really big)
Cory's

Clown Loaches and other Loaches

Otocinclus catfish (Great for algae control)
Avoid Chineese algae eaters, and probably siamese algae eaters.

My personal favorites are the three Rams, which are probably my second favorite fish apart from Discus.

Avoid Angel Fish at all costs. They can carry diseases that can kill the discus.