PDA

View Full Version : another ricordia question

snapdragon9
05-22-2008, 06:16 PM
I just added a green ricordea to my established tank where all parameters are ok, and I'm familiar with the general requirements for ricordea growth. Placement relative to my PC's is good and water flow is alright. I was just wondering how the rics actually feed...he is unfolded pretty well and his 'mouth' is shown at times, is this when feeding is occuring? Are the 'tenticles' supposed to be really compacted and close together, because mine seems to be reaching out a little, which seems to be good because at the LFS they were tightly compacted and color was washed out a little, (this i think was due to heavy lighting. So if anyone could fill me in on how the ric actually filters water, that would be great. Thanks!!

coachfraley
05-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I have never fed my ric. anything.

unleashed
05-22-2008, 07:50 PM
you do not need to feed them anything. they are similar to mushrooms. All they need is some light so that their hosted zooxanthellae can photosynthesize and produce energy for them.

TowBoater
05-22-2008, 10:20 PM
you do not need to feed them anything. they are similar to mushrooms. All they need is some light so that their hosted zooxanthellae can photosynthesize and produce energy for them.

Ditto there and also they may gather some food from when you feed the fish.