PDA

View Full Version : Diet Q's for Amanos

LosC
05-22-2008, 06:48 AM
Do they really need an algae concentrated diet? My tank has no algae for them. I feed lots of sinking pellet foods that do not contain algae. Today I moved some plants into there tank that had some algae on them and they climbed them right away for the algae. Are they deprived of algae? Should I be feeding them algae tablets more than anything.

Sasquatch
05-22-2008, 02:00 PM
I definatly consider adding some algae to their diet. That being said, my amanos jump all over the "meaty" stuff I put into the tank ... but then again, I'm overun with algae, so they get all they want.

Fishguy2727
05-22-2008, 02:46 PM
You can try growing algae on rocks in a small tank or container in a window. I feed nothing but New Life Spectrum and mine do great. You may want to try and find some moss balls aka marimo balls or even java moss (that risks it taking over the whole tank) because they will eat either of these.

What pellets are you feeding?

angelcakes
05-22-2008, 02:47 PM
would algea wafers help????

Fishguy2727
05-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Most algae wafers actually have little algae in them. I would try either growing it yourself in a separate container or try pure algae foods like the seaweeds for marine fish. Omega One has a line of pure algae sheets, in red, green, and brown.

Wild Turkey
05-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Ive got plenty of algae, want some? lol J/k its dying off now thank god

LosC
05-23-2008, 05:22 AM
turkey I dont want your algae lol.

I feed both Hikari sinking wafers for bottom dwelling fish and TopFin shrimp pellets regularly. I tend to occasionally drop Cichlid sinking pellets just for the hell of it. Once or twice a week I feed Hikari algae wafers. I feed frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms but I doubt any of it lands because of my Danios and Tetras.

Picked up some Java moss today, gonna try to attach it to one of the tank walls.

Sasquatch
05-23-2008, 01:38 PM
That mix of sinking pellets will be just fine for your amamnos.

Fishguy2727
05-23-2008, 10:29 PM
I would still keep an eye out for NLS and try it if you get the chance.