PDA

View Full Version : help with tank...

gladdy39
11-26-2006, 09:53 AM
Hey, im new to this whole thing and was reading how you were trying to get more people to use the forum, and i have some question im sure some one here will be able or want to help me with.

I am going to purchase a 40gal (150L???) and would like to keep 4 Blue-eyes (Archocentrus spilurus) and was wondering if this would be appropriate and what would be appropriate to keep with them, i would like some sort of dither fish too but i am relying on someone here to tell me what is appropriate and would work well.

As I said im new to this so advice on all aspects of the tank would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou, Jarrod

Abbeys_Mom
11-26-2006, 01:17 PM
You could try some swordtails, they would add some colour.

Fishguy2727
11-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Do you actually have them available to you? They are not common around here and sometimes you will see lots of things in books or online that may not actually be available for practical purposes.

Lady Hobbs
11-26-2006, 03:11 PM
They are rather pretty. Males to 4 1/2 inches and females to around 3. But as reptileguy says, I don't know if they are available here in the US but then I don't know where you're from. Check with breeders or LFS in your area and see if they have, or can get them.

Abbeys_Mom
11-26-2006, 03:23 PM
I have seen them in my lfs, but I am in Canada.

gladdy39
11-27-2006, 12:02 AM
Yes they are available, I live in south eastern australia (Victoria) and several LFS stock them and have a specific 4 in mind. I am particularly fond of them too... however i didnt realise they were rare, just adds to the attraction really.
Thanks, Jarrod

Lady Hobbs
11-27-2006, 03:55 AM
I hear that many countries have stopped the export of fish so some are harder to find here in the US. Some of the breeders were able to nab a few before the restrictions took place and now breed in fish farms right here. But the type you have mentioned, I am not aware of.