PDA

View Full Version : new here please help

Momma_of_2_babies
05-20-2008, 08:42 PM
So I bought some blubs, thinking I would grown my own plants for my betta's. Are all aquarium plants compatable with bettas? They say that there is an assortment of the following : crispus, undulatus,ulvaceus, echinatus, rigdifolius, boivinianus, nantas, nymphaea rubra, and nymphaea stellata. I have no clue what they are!!!
I also bought betta blubs, do I just put them in the tank and hope they grow? How do these things work?? Help please

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-20-2008, 09:21 PM
What size tank are you talking about? The list of bulbs in green all get huge. Of the first 7 are almost all, if not all, are varieties of Aponogeton and the last 2 are water a kind of water lilies. I've had the Apon bulbs, and they grew leaves that were right around 24" long.

smaug
05-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Apongentums get very large,I had one of those beta bulb plants in my tank and it grew 20".Yes plants and betas are very compatible and are evn complimntary as is the case with most all fish.

Momma_of_2_babies
05-20-2008, 10:49 PM
I have a 10 gal and two 5 gal tanks! So I better only put 1 plant in each tank huh??

Momma_of_2_babies
05-20-2008, 10:50 PM
ohh..and another thing they grow in gravel right??

travis
06-14-2008, 07:17 AM
Most, if not all, of the bulbs you've listed grow to become very large (for small aquariums, anyway) plants that will quickly outgrow your tank. They require good lighting (~2 watts per gallon or more) and decent fertilization to do well. They are probably not good long term choices for a tank of your size, although it could be interesting to try to cultivate them.

In my experience, raw bulbs have a fairly low germination rate, meaning that roughly half of them never sprout or produce growth at all in the aquarium. Plant them in the substrate with their tops sticking out and give them several weeks to send out shoots and roots. If they fail to do so and become soft (gently squeeze them to test this), they have likely failed and should be removed and discarded to prevent them from rotting and polluting your water. Even in good conditions this can happen so don't worry that you're doing anything wrong. Best of luck and keep us updated :)

Incredulous_Ed
06-14-2008, 03:30 PM
IME, the bulbs will not grow that big if you have weak lighting. I had one in a 5gal and i gt big, but not a big as they are supposed to get. Maybe itwas because I had low lighting, or didnt fertilize.