PDA

View Full Version : thinking of changing to tanganykans any thoughts?

infamous2117
05-20-2008, 09:44 AM
hi guys im new here, but i have had cichlids for many years now, mostly mbuna but ive had the odd fronts,calvus and compressiceps. but now ive decided im bored with male display tanks, so i have gotten rid of all my cichlids (electric blues,red emperor,taiwan reef,protomelas dejunctus,placidochromis electra,electric yellow,malieri gold etc) so i could start breeding tangs. i was think julies or maybe lelupi. i have a 4 ft tank (not sure in gallons) and i was just wondering what would be a good choice. also is it possible to mix them up when breeding?

The Wedge
05-20-2008, 05:02 PM
what are the dimensions in w and h?

infamous2117
05-21-2008, 10:22 AM
122 x 33 x 40 cms. im pretty set on julies and maybe some brichardis and neolamps, is this a good mix?

sailor
05-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum. From your measurements it sounds like you have a @ 40 gal tank. You could go with a nice julie or brichardi set up. But they tend to get pretty aggresive once they pair off and start breeding. Some of the other Neolamprologus such as Neolamprologus tretocephalus are very aggressive and require a larger tank. There are some nice shellies that you could go with and they would be great in a tank your size. Neolamprologus pulcher "daffodil" are a beautiful fish as well. Good luck with your choices and keep us informed with what you choose.

infamous2117
05-21-2008, 10:37 PM
thanks for the info, a friend of mine was telling me to go with the daffodils, ill decide on saturday (2 days) ill keep you guys posted. one more question> are calvus hard to breed? and are they suitable for my 40 gal? ive had gold face compressiceps before and they tended to be really aggressive towards each other, to the point where the "gold face" killed the smaller "fire fin".

Spyder
05-21-2008, 10:49 PM
I have a community Tang tank with lot's of successful spawning. I have Julidichromus Ornatus, the most peaceful Juli, I have Lamprolugus Caudopunctatus, large at about 3" and they only use large shells for spawning, I have Neolamprologus Speciosis, a true shell dweller, I have Cyprichromis leptosoma (Mpulungu) Blue Flash which stay under 4" and paracyptochomis nigripinnis. I also have a pair of Black Calvus, still small at 1 1/2" and a group of Xenotilapia sp. "Ochrogenys Ndole". I do have a large tank, 300 gallon but at one time I had the Julis, Caudopucks and Cyps in a 75g with no problems.

HTH, Michael

infamous2117
05-23-2008, 07:48 AM
thanks for the info guys, just for reference this is my tank (pic below) note how i have 2 seperated rock formations at each end, i read that this was a good way to colony breed julies.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p65/infamous2117/iphonepics004.jpg