PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Bennes
11-25-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi,

I have just joined this Forum, so hello to all!

I am getting back into fish keeping after a few years away and am picking up my new 4ft aquarium next week, very exciting.

Cheers, Simon.

f1oored
11-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Welcome Simon,
This place is great. I hope you feel at home right away. BTW, what are you planning for your new aquarium?

Abbeys_Mom
11-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Bennes
11-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

I am planning to use a sand substrate this time (always used gravel before), and plant it up quite densly at the back. I have always fancied keeping Discus, but will leave that to a while down the line. Want quite a natural looking tank with bogwood and some natural stone. Will start with a good community tank and maybe leave room for discus later.

I like so many fish it is difficult to choose a group that will be happy together - I like Ram cichlids and Kribs, facy keeping some rainbowfish, also a group of Cory's and maybe a plec, also like clown loaches. Have a soft spot for Dwarf Gouramis but they are a bit delicate for most of these fish (have seen them get bullied before, not nice!). Might find out about a bigger goramis like pearl or three spot? Then of course there is the good old tetra - probably cardinals and maybe some rummy nose. Then might go for some surface fish like danios for a bit of movement at the top.

Still reading up on the compatability of these, my immediate concern is getting the substrate right at the start. Going for silica sand with a undersoil heater and mixed with a suitable fertiliser.

Cheers.