PDA

View Full Version : normal or mean!

graceluvsplatys
05-20-2008, 02:34 AM
I have recently(today) put a female betta into a tank with 5 platys and a couple fry. The female betta seems to be chasing the platys, and trying to nip their tails (has not yet been succesful)
the platies are acting normal, and the betta cant really do much cause the platies move so fast. The betta does not pursue one platy, but seems to chase whoever is nearest. She only chases for a second or two, and then gives up.
I am wondering if this is a sign of agression, and i should move her back to solitary ( pretty bad conditions right now) or is this
typical newcomer behavior, and will it die down.

she has done no harm at the moment, but I dont want to let it get out of hand. thanks!

cocoa_pleco
05-20-2008, 02:35 AM
its aggression, bettas often see platys as other bettas since they resemble eachother in body form. it will not die down, as a experiment i tried a betta and platy in a 20g heavily planted and the betta constantly chased the platy.

i doubt the betta will stop unless it gets hold of the platy

graceluvsplatys
05-20-2008, 02:46 AM
really? what do you mean get ahold of the platy!

If i have to move the betta, will she die moving? from heated and filtered to not?
do you think it wil work, ever?
ill keep you posted on what happenes

cocoa_pleco
05-20-2008, 03:10 AM
if she gets close to the platy, she could attack it and possibly kill it, i doubt the betta will be satisfied unless the platy is dead

the stress from a heated to unheated tank would be pretty bad, the betta might even get ick from the stress. would it be possible to get a tank divider and section off a small part of the tank for the betta?

graceluvsplatys
05-20-2008, 03:14 AM
yeah, that may work
but again, she is mostly ignoring the others, but if they get close or bump into her, she will chase them away. Its not 1, its all of them but the dwarf. will she kill; them all!

cocoa_pleco
05-20-2008, 04:18 AM
she might kill them, its not a for sure though, but im sure the betta will chase the platy alot

graceluvsplatys
05-20-2008, 04:28 AM
she might kill them, its not a for sure though, but im sure the betta will chase the platy alot

I decided to move her back, she was really bugging this one especially. I didnt trust them during the night She is so much happier, swimming around and playing. She almost ddint seem to like the warm water... like it hurt her and thn she was back and happy... weird

kaoticice
05-20-2008, 11:34 AM
how big is ur tank?? if its big enough you might be able to fit one of these for the betta. The space is small but at least its heated properly in your main tank. http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=3866&catID=35

Ed

graceluvsplatys
06-03-2008, 01:47 AM
uhh. i dont know, she seemed really scared by the other fish..