PDA

View Full Version : Invisible Cories

Jakaris
11-25-2006, 01:41 AM
I have 4 Corydoras in my tank, and they all stay near the back where I have some plants, and their behind a large piece of driftwood. The albino used to come out quite a bit, but not anymore, and i hardly ever see the other 3. Anyone have any tips to get them to come out? Thanks.

kimmers318
11-25-2006, 05:20 AM
Try a piece of zucchini....all of my fish except the carnivores love it and it never fails to get a skittish fish to come out. Some people (as I do) put it in fresh...alot of fish will start nibbling at it right away...others blanch/nuke it for a few seconds to soften it up before putting it in. Weigh it down with something and once the lights go off you will probably see some happily munching cories!

Jakaris
11-25-2006, 07:10 AM
Thanks Kimmers, I'll pick up some tomorrow. Is there also something I could do to the tank that would make them more active, such as floating plants to soften the light?

kimmers318
11-25-2006, 04:32 PM
The more hiding places they have the more active they are. It makes them feel comfortable to know that if they venture out they always have somewhere to zip into in a hurry if something scares them. I have also spent alot of time snapping pics at night of my bottom feeders which since that is usually there active time seems to make them less skittish all the way around.

jeffs99dime
11-25-2006, 06:15 PM
my brochis cat is invisible too.

Abbeys_Mom
11-25-2006, 06:38 PM
my brochis cat is invisible too.
That would be why I haven't seen any at my lfs, maybe they only carry the invisible kind. :ezpi_wink1:

kimmers318
11-26-2006, 01:55 AM
Too funny Abbeysmom....I wonder if I get the invisible kind if it would be invisible on the bioload and I could have loads of them!

Jakaris
11-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Well, they didnt go for the zuchini, regular or blanched... any other ideas?

Abbeys_Mom
11-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Is there a chance that someone else in the tank is harassing them?

Jakaris
11-26-2006, 11:01 PM
Not really, I have an angel, 2 kissers, 6 Harlequin Rasboras, and 2 Flame Tetras (survivors, Im about to open a topic to ask if its okay to fill the school out again, I only have a 26 gallon) in there with them. The kissers would seem to be the only culprit, but they dont mess with them, the only chase one another, only take note of the other fish when they avoid running into them.

jeffs99dime
11-27-2006, 01:52 AM
that's it! i'm going to do a "stealth tank" soon. it's going to comprise stealth heaters, ghost knives, black phantoms, and invisible cories!!! lol

i'm just kidding by the way. lol

Abbeys_Mom
11-27-2006, 02:45 AM
I went to the store to buy corys, but couldn't find any. The clerk couldn't help me because he couldn't see them either. They really should label which tank has the invisible corys in it. :oP

kimmers318
11-27-2006, 03:55 AM
Other things cories love (at least mine do) are frozen bloodworms, shrimp pellets, algae wafers and tropical tablets. Of course my other fish love them also so it is feed mania around here usually.
Take heart....it took about 4 months for my laser cories to start popping out regularly. Try dropping some of the above foods near their hiding place to see if you can entice them out. Plus, since the other fish will probably go after the food you might see if someone is picking on them when they do try to jump out after the foods. Another trick is to feed them at night since they are typically night fish. Eventually, as long as noone is pestering them, you should begin to see more of them. Some cories are real skittish and take a long time to get comfortable with the fact that it is okay to come out during the day and to realize that is when the goodies come.

Abbeys_Mom
11-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Ahhh, the way to a fishes heart is through his stomach, lol. I know it's the only reason my fish are excited to see me.

jeffs99dime
11-28-2006, 06:13 AM
Ahhh, the way to a fishes heart is through his stomach, lol. I know it's the only reason my fish are excited to see me.

my cats do that too! lol

kimmers318
11-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Heck my oldest daughter is getting to be like that! She is hitting the "chubby" stage just before full blown puberty and can't stop eating!

Abbeys_Mom
11-28-2006, 02:32 PM
I'm still at that stage (other then the puberty thing, past that) and I'm almost 30. :)