PDA

View Full Version : Floating plants.

Glasstapper
11-25-2006, 01:22 AM
I'd like to add a floating plant to my aquarium, but my water surface is not still. I have a HOB filter on the right side, and a 6 inch bubble wand on the left side of the tank. I have some java fern attached to a piece of driftwood, but when I tried to let it free float (as I've heard you can do), it just floated all around the tank and eventually got stuck to the filter.

I keep my pH at 7.0, temp at 79/80F.

Any suggestions for one that's ok with current?

Abbeys_Mom
11-25-2006, 01:34 AM
When I had bettas in a tank with an airstone, I used a floating ring for the male to build his nest in. Putting something across the top surface of the water in one corner or across the front should make a barrier that stops the surface movement. It's worth a shot.

Ivana
11-25-2006, 07:11 AM
I had to get plastic ones. I try to use live plants exclusively, but there just weren't many floaters that could deal with the water current. They make plastic floating plants, and they don't look TOO bad :)

Glasstapper
11-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Hmm, a plastic plant is not a bad idea at all. And I guess it makes sense to put something to block the current. D'oh! I hadn't thought of that. LOL

Thanks, guys. I'll see what I can find.

Lady Hobbs
11-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Glasstapper, I have my aquariums full of plastic bamboo and love it. It's also covering the top. It's the plants I was bragging about at ThatPetPlace
http://www.thatpetplace.com/ I also got my driftwood from there. They have plastic, live and silk plants to die for. I prefer the plastic. My bamboo plants are 36 inches long! $9

Glasstapper
11-25-2006, 11:32 PM
Ooh, good link, hobbs. Thanks. I'm going to go browsing around now. ;)

newt0524
01-16-2007, 03:04 PM
hey

depanding on your light levels you could go with floating lily. these will anchor them selves to the bottom and grow upwrads. when they reach the top they will stop and the roots will keep them from moving around much. also, they shouldn't get sucked into the filter.

you will need high light though and beware that they will shade the bottom, so other plants may suffer.

newt