PDA

View Full Version : Neolamp Brevis vs. Multi?

The Wedge
05-19-2008, 12:49 AM
Yeah, my 90 is almost cycled and I will be moving the rest of the mbuna to my 90. I wanted to put some shellies in the 30. My LFS is out of Multi's and is not sure when he can get more. Possibly Wednesday, but most likely not. He did say he possibly could get more Brevis. He has two now that I can Purchase in the mean time. I want some imput...but the breeding aspect is not the most important.

toddnbecka
05-20-2008, 02:13 AM
Mbuna in general aren't a good mix with shellies, though there is one Malawi shell-dweller that would work.

The Wedge
05-20-2008, 02:27 AM
My 30 gallon is going to be a species tank...the 90 will be my mbuna tank...I am wanting to know the pros and cons of Brevis vs. multi's. So basically I do not see why it won't be a Tang tank.

toddnbecka
05-20-2008, 02:44 AM
Oops, I didn't read closely enough. Multi's are more tolerant of fry than brevis. Soon after the brevis fry become free-swimming they will be ignored at best, quite possibly eaten. Multi's will form a colony; when the males become mature enough to breed they will be kicked out by the dominant male. A 30 will allow enough space for the rejected young males to get far enough away that they won't be harassed to death, though sooner or later some will need to be moved out. Chances are quite good you'll end up with at least 2 separate colonies, who will have "turf wars" though w/out any real damage or bloodshed. Fry tend to be raised by whatever adults they're near, and are protected by adults and juvies.