PDA

View Full Version : Snail question.

robnepper
05-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Hey guys and gals. I'm just wondering if anyone is breeding nuisance snails? I had a nice little community going for my dwarf puffer to eat. I found out, how ever, that baby Jack Dempseys love to eat baby pond snails. GRRR. So I just went to big al's and bought 20 of them. Some have the long shells and some are just normal looking.

What do I need, just some water and food for them?

PUNISHER VETTE
05-18-2008, 10:27 PM
You bought them? You must be crazy:14:

I would pay someone to take mine...

angelcakes
05-18-2008, 10:29 PM
snails wouldnt last 5 minutes in my tank:hmm3grin2orange:

Wild Turkey
05-18-2008, 10:29 PM
You bought them? You must be crazy:14:

I would pay someone to take mine...

Yea at most pet stores they will give them to you for free. They will be fine with a little flake sprinkled in, and something to suppliment them with calcium, like fresh green veggies, boil them first though. You must have a ph of 7 or higher or their shells will deteriorate and they will die though

robnepper
05-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Yea at most pet stores they will give them to you for free. They will be fine with a little flake sprinkled in, and something to suppliment them with calcium, like fresh green veggies, boil them first though. You must have a ph of 7 or higher or their shells will deteriorate and they will die though
Yeah I know. I thought they were called nuisance snails because the stores didn't like them. this is Edmonton, though, so it's either, "Nope we don't give them away or sell them", or " sure, for a dime a piece, you can have as many as you want!". That's why I want to keep a culture going.

Wild Turkey
05-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Yeah I know. I thought they were called nuisance snails because the stores didn't like them. this is Edmonton, though, so it's either, "Nope we don't give them away or sell them", or " sure, for a dime a piece, you can have as many as you want!". That's why I want to keep a culture going.

Very easy thing to do, i threw 50 to 100 of them into a 2.5 after they were already in water that had copper, after about a week there were little specs crawling around. Now i can make out their shells with my magnifying glass

xoolooxunny
05-19-2008, 01:33 AM
put them in a tank all on their own and feed small green veggie slices and algae wafers. temp around 78, you should have a boom town of snails in no time.