PDA

View Full Version : care of GBR

Minderella83
05-18-2008, 09:09 PM
I was wondering how hard it is to keep GBRs, what size tank do they require? How many should you keep together?

Lady Hobbs
05-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Never had them but they do like to be in groups and pretty common so doubtfully not hard to keep. Try to get more females than males.

Minderella83
05-18-2008, 09:55 PM
I will have to research how to tell the difference between male and female. I always like to be able to tell the difference due to some fish stores have no idea what they are doing. Thanks for the information.

Halelorf
05-18-2008, 11:34 PM
There is a sticky in this section of the forum with how to sex blue rams.

Minderella83
05-19-2008, 02:18 AM
thanks I looked at it. Now I will be looking for them.

Blue Guppy
05-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Hi Mindrella83!

GBR are fascinating fishes! The more you observe them the more you get attached to them.

I've had 2 pairs and an odd female for over 2 months now and I must say guys and gals from this forum have contributed a lot by giving me sound advice on how to take care and breed this fish. But there are several things that I discovered since I bought these fishes:

1. They seem to thrive better if you place several driftwoods in the tank. The driftwood somehow gives the water a slight tinge of yellow (amazon type of water). Also ample amount of caves by utilizing small flower pots (the ones that you use to grow small cactus or orchids).

2. Stock you tank with amazon sword plants and other leafy plants but not to a point where it makes the tank too crowded. Plant them in the back leaving the forefront of the tank for driftwoods and pots.

3. Keep the water clean by replacing 20% water every 2 days...depends on how many GBRs you plan to keep. Make sure you vacuum your gravel at least once a month to keep the nitrates low.

4. I have a 20 gal tank that houses the 2 pairs and the odd female plus a few neon tetras and red eye tetras. Make sure they are accompanied by some tetra type of fish. For some reason they are more lively and come out in the open more when joined by tetras. A couple or more of corys will do the job as well. GBRs are peaceful when not spawning and rearing their young.

I've also noticed that the females are more aggressive than the males. I don't know about the other guys and gals here in this forum but the 2 pairs I have the males seem to ignore each other while females go at it once in a while. If you plan to keep a pair a 5 gal tank will do but of course if you plan to keep them with other fishes a 10gal tank is the minimum.

Good luck and have fun with these fishes!

Incredulous_Ed
05-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Make sure you get high quality rams. Many are bred in asia and com eout very poor quality, due to inbreeding. Because of this, they get less color, and die off very easily. Make sure where the rams come from before you buy.

Minderella83
05-21-2008, 12:30 AM
I would be putting them in a 20 gallon tank.

Blue Guppy
05-23-2008, 04:22 AM
Yup a 20 gallon tank would be more than enough. Just always remember a rule of thumb for keeping GBR is to have the best quality of water as possible by doing a regular (at least twice week) water change and you will do fine.

Good luck!