PDA

View Full Version : new to all of this

Brandi
11-24-2006, 08:28 PM
Hello again... I am wondering... should I maybe sell my smaller oscar before I get to attached ( will the bigger one kill it) and if I do... can I get anything else to go with my oscar in his 55 gal. tank? something he won't kill??? Thanks for the help!

jeffs99dime
11-24-2006, 10:25 PM
a 55g is really too small for even one full-grown oscar, let alone another fish.--sorry.--jeff

TehTANK
11-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Yeah you can get a bottom feeder for now but that size tank is small as is. I saw that you are building a bigger one for the oscars so if it doesn't take to long to build it and get them in there, then a bottom feeder wouldn't be bad I would say.

Fishguy2727
11-27-2006, 02:56 PM
If you have room for a bottom feeder, I would suggest a Synodontis eupterus, or three. They do well with south american species, even big cichlids, and actually clean the bottom (for the most part) unlike many other bottom feeders (like plecos).

Abbeys_Mom
11-27-2006, 03:28 PM
As far as fish go, there are lots of fish that go with Oscars, but because of the limited space, I wouldn't recommend it. If the Oscar is moved into a bigger tank you could a a Jack Dempsey of the same size. My Oscar was kept with a large parrot (the orange kind).

Fishguy2727
11-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Parrots are highly variable, some are relatively peaceful, even skittish, others can be worse than a jack dempsey. And as far as the Jack Dempsey goes, I would not recommend it. They simply tend to be too aggressive for oscars, especially at about the same size. Of course there are many cases where it works out fine, but it is too strong of a trend to consider tham as compatible. Jacks are just too aggressive.