PDA

View Full Version : is this good or bad???

Brandi
11-24-2006, 08:18 PM
Hi, I have recently baught 2 red oscars... they seem to always be together in their 55 gal tank right now they are only 4 inches and 5 inches... the other day I was watching them and they were doing some wierd stuff the bigger one would be swimming on it's side kind of while the smaller one would be kind of laying on top of the bigger one, and their tails would be "vibrating", then they would be opening their mouths and "kissing" (I don't know what else to call it).some times their mouths would be stuck together for a few seconds... Is this aggressive behaviour? or do they "like each other"??? I have no idea... what should I do??? If anyone can help... plz email me at... brandi_86@msn.com use subject... "my wierd oscars" Thanks

Lady Hobbs
11-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Doesn't sound like love to me. If their lips were locked together, they were probably biting one another. They're too young to be mating.

Abbeys_Mom
11-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Just a heads up. 2 Oscars in a 55g won't last long. In one year they will outgrow it. You need more than 55g for just one. I fell into the same trap because I listened to the people at the LFS. I ended up with one BIG oscar who was cramped and unhappy. Eventually I had to give him to a fish rescue because I couldn't fine a home for him and the petstore wouldn't take him.

Brandi
11-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks guys for the help... I am building a house right now, so they will be in a bigger tank in no more than 6 months(very latest) it will be at least tripple the size, I am custom building one just for them(maybe just the one by the sounds of things) Thanks again!