PDA

View Full Version : 10g nano reef suggestions

TowBoater
05-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Ok I started me a 10g nano and it is currently cycling with about 15 lbs of LR and 6 hermits in it. It has live sand mixed in with black and white sand to give it a cool look. How many fish do you suggest? I plan on adding just one black and white percula clown to the tank, should I add more? I plan to have about 6 snails with 3 being narssisus to move the sand. I am going to have a skunk cleaner shrimp also. Now we are at where I wanna ask about.... What kind of corals and such do you recommend? I am getting about a 4 lb rock and it has some larger kenya tree attached to it so I will have kenya tree. Now I can frag about anything I want out of my 55g and in there I have Pulsing Xenia, Frogspawn, Hairy Mushrooms, RBTA, Star Polyps, Flower Pot, Ricordia (purple and orange), Brown Polyps, Toadstool, more kenya tree, and a condy....I think thats everything.... OK I can buy a few more things also but for a starter I am going to use frags from some of these, which do you recommend?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-18-2008, 12:31 PM
A single fish is your max on that tank. In those small tanks you really need to keep the levels way down. As I'm sure you know, you will be trimming that Kenya Tree back quite a bit in a small tank but you can put it in there. The only coral I couldn't put in that small tank is the Toadstool, it will get way way to big. I wouldn't put an anemone in it either, still too small.

TowBoater
05-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Well Like the Xenia, I am worried it will take over or something because it is spreading like crazy in my 55g.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Any soft coral is going to spread and take over in a small tank, that's one of the challenges of keeping a nano tank is keeping things thinned out so that they don't. On the flip side, if you try keeping a lot of LPS in the tank you run into the issue of sweeper tentacles that will sting the other corals in the tank. Welcome to the fun challenges of a nano reef. LOL

Halelorf
05-18-2008, 02:40 PM
I would recommend more snails than that. My 15 gallon is loaded with them. I have 2 turbos, 10+ nessarius, 10+ Cerith, and 3 astrea snails. I do have some scarlet hermit crabs but mine seem more interested in eating each other than cleaning the tank.

gem
05-18-2008, 03:10 PM
I kept a Kenya tree in my 2.5 gal pico tank for well over a year. You just have to keep trimming it back as GB said. You also need to recognize when it's getting ready to drop a branch.....and pluck it off before it floats off and attaches elsewhere. Another invasive I had in my pico was mushrooms and green star polyps. Just keep thinning. = )
As far as fish, yeah....I would stick with one...if you really want two, the clown and maybe a pistol shrimp with a shrimp goby.

NickFish
05-18-2008, 03:39 PM
The plants depend on your lighting and your fish's.

But you can't go wrong with zoas and shrooms.

I think maybe you could put in a small clown goby also, but that all depends on your CUC and water quality.

kkyyllee
06-05-2008, 06:05 AM
depending on the tank you could probly add another small fish liek a goby, or firefish

what kind of lighting does the tank have?