PDA

View Full Version : Availability of Central / South Americans

Rick
12-03-2005, 08:47 PM
Hi:

I've just set up a 150 gallon tank for Central and S. Americans, after 10+ years away from the hobby. I've noticed that in my area (suburban Chicago) the fish stores seem to have a heavy bias toward African cichlids. Very poor selection of South and Central American, which are my favorites.

For example, I can't find my very favorite species, managuense, anywhere.

Has there been a fundamental shift in popularity over the past 10-15 years or is this just a Chicago thing?

Rick

William
12-04-2005, 12:59 AM
Hi
The baise is heavily against African cichlids in the entire country as well as Europe. The african cichlids has simply gained a lot of popularity evenif I like you prefer South and Central American cichlids.

I would recommend http://www.tangledupincichlids.com/ runned by Jeff Rapps

He has a very good reputation, a large stock of South and Central American cichlids and ship nation wide (worldwide).

Hope this helps.

EnzoTorino
12-28-2005, 05:22 AM
Rick,

I am in Willow Springs (SW Burbs) and have about 20 Parachromis Managuense fry that are a little less than an inch right now. Let me know if you're interested.

Full3R
01-05-2006, 05:13 AM
Hey i went to that link and saw a fish and i have never seen or heard of them they are called "Archocentrus octofasciatus" i cant even pronounce that but may i have some information on them as just a random thing and also with the points that i get for participating on the site what are they for

William
01-05-2006, 09:58 AM
There are a lot of info available about "Archocentrus octofasciatus"which is better known as Jack Dempsey. They are easy to keep but very aggressive. They grow quite large and need a large aquarium to thrive. Can be kept in the same way as central american cichlids.

The points don't really have a purpose right now other then bragging rights but they might be conected to a contest or two in the future ;-)

Full3R
01-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Thanx willim for the info

And the points all i must say is "ooh! Contest!" lol :P

Mannythemanny
01-29-2006, 07:04 PM
Don't know if you have any experience with managuense but they are pretty easy to find here in NJ. I have a 15" Manny right now and still growing. He's EXCEPTIONALLY AGGRESSIVE. He started in a 125 gallon tank at about 5" and within a couple of months he was bullying 2 oscars (about 10" each) and 2 large plecos He's now by himself in a 110 and will soon be moved to a 180 if I have my way. There's no way I would even bother putting another fish in with him. He attacks everything relentlessly. I have 8 suction cups with zip ties holding the intake tube to the glass and 4 on the return end. He's caused mini floods trying to tear these things apart. I even have a sign on the tank not to tease or put your hand in the tank. Forget about decorating your tank as well. Mine moves anything he can and scrapes and cuts himself on anything he couldn't move (big rocks,etc..).

BigFutch
03-15-2006, 12:42 AM
Rick, you can also check out the website for the Chicago Cichlid Association. They have all sorts of links of the local variety that may interest you.

http://www.gcca.net/

Reggie

:D