PDA

View Full Version : A Couple Of Questions

karneval
05-17-2008, 01:01 AM
I've already asked at plecofanatics, but thought I'd see what everyone here has to say, too. Variety, right?

Anyway. Long story short: I'm trying to figure out what kind of pleco to put in my 14 gallon tank. It will live with a male Betta, and an apple snail. I don't know what my LFS has exactly, so that's what I'm asking for.

(I talked to one of my friend's sisters, who works at the LFS, today, and I asked if they had Pitbull Plecs. She said, "Yeah, but they're called Bulldogs, not Pitbulls." So I don't know if they're actually Bulldogs or if they're Pitbulls going by the wrong name.)

So, I want to get some info on both, just incase I go in expecting one and find the other. If I could just run what I know by you guys, and have you tell me if what I know is right/wrong, that'd be awesome.

Bulldogs: Like cooler water, between 70 and 77F, and the warmer the water is, the more oxygenated it needs to be. Eat algae, algae wafers, and veggies like lettuce, cucumber, etc. If I got one of these, I'd just be able to fit one in the tank, which is okay with me, since they're territorial, anyway.

Pitbulls: Not picky with temps, 68-78, like to be kept in groups, or at least pairs. Eat algae, and vegetables. Do they also eat meaty stuff, like bloodworms? If the LFS ends up having pitbulls, would I be able to fit a trio, or should I go with a pair?

If I get a pair, would I get same sex, or male and female?

I've tried looking stuff up on the pair/group thing, but can't find anything like a male/female ratio. So, if anyone could help me out with that, that'd be great.

Wild Turkey
05-17-2008, 01:19 AM
Sounds like you are ontop of the research. Bulldogs are the same thing as Rubber Nose, try searching under that name. I would go with the pitbull if you can find it as rubber nose can get to 5-6" and thats a little large for a 14g IMO

karneval
05-17-2008, 01:31 AM
I'd prefer a Pitbull, but I can only work with what the LFS has. (I guess I could always have them order for me, too, so I'll just have to see what happens.) But, with Pitbulls, would I just do a pair?

(Oh, and I've also searched under Rubbernose/Rubberlip. It's mostly Pitbulls I can't find a lot on.)

Wild Turkey
05-17-2008, 01:49 AM
You can fit 3 in there easily, the bulldog is another story. I would go 3 or 4 as i believe its recommended you keep them in groups.

Yea, try getting ur lfs to special order them for you, if not you can always go online if its something that is worth paying a high shipping fee for to you.

karneval
05-17-2008, 01:58 AM
Alright, thank you :)

toddnbecka
05-17-2008, 08:22 AM
Here you go, just what you want for $4 each (plus shipping.) Good people to deal with IME. Check the South American/West African stocklist:
http://www.cichlids.net/index.php

gm72
05-17-2008, 10:55 AM
I don't know any more than you have already discovered but just wanted to jump in and give you a huge GREAT JOB for researching before you purchase! :19: :19: :19:

karneval
05-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Thank you! :sbiggrin: