PDA

View Full Version : Sand for corys..

doug z
05-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Was thinking I'd use a top layer of Tahitian Moon Sand (Carib Sea) so my corys (or is it cories?) could forage through it..

But I dunno.. Wouldn't that be even more abrasive than say, Eco-complete?

I was rubbing some between my 2 fingers, and it seems pretty darn barbel un-friendly..

Thoughts?

doug z
05-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Ah, wait..

The sand would filter through the eco-complete I would have as the layer below anyways, wouldn't it?

Unless I put one of those rubber membranes they use in gardening between the 2 layers.. What do you think?

Sand seems like it would be more abrasive than smooth pebbles (Eco-complete), in my opinion..

MandyL
05-16-2008, 04:23 PM
I don't know that sand at all but I have play sand that is incredibly smooth and fine. I also have a layer of Flourite below it. So far, there is absolutely no evidence of them mixing, but I've only been set up about 2 months now. Time will tell I guess.

sandy_n
05-16-2008, 04:29 PM
I have that in my tank Doug. One of the reasons was for the corys but it's also pretty cool looking...gotta like black. But someone told me that it's a little sharp for the barbels. Her corys had lost them on it. But I've heard of cory's losing them on regular gravel that was smooth all around too. As far as sand, I would imagine that there is some out there that has sharper edges than others.

doug z
05-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I have it for my bottom layer, to help distribute the heat from the cable-heater..

I thought I might use a thinnish layer above the Eco, as well..

But the more I think on it.. The Eco should be smoother, if not as fine..

Kenotia
05-24-2008, 07:01 PM
I've got pool filter sand as my substrate and my corys ADORE it. I just changed it last week and they really can't get enough of it... although I've heard that Tahitian Moon is a little sharp, not as much as the 'Black Beauty' variety, which is actually iron shavings if I remember right. Corys will suck the sand up and pass it through their gills, so you might want to keep that in mind when choosing a graded sand.

doug z
05-24-2008, 07:44 PM
I think I'm just going to stick with Eco-complete on the top..