PDA

View Full Version : help with snail colors

Angila
05-16-2008, 03:05 AM
My baby mystery snails are getting a wee bit bigger and i know for sure that my purplish brown one laid the clutch that hatched my question is some of them are yellow some are brown and some are like an off white color can anyone explain that? Is it possiable for them to have many diffrent colors from one snail or do they just change colors as they grow until they reach a certain age or size and if so when is there coor definite?

Angila
05-16-2008, 02:43 PM
hmm well if noone knows i guess i will hide and watch and post the answer when i figure it out

houie925
05-25-2008, 03:14 PM
purples often appear yellow when they're small. when the shell starts growing in thicker they will turn purple. they could also have the trait of the father so they may just be golds

Wild Turkey
05-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Its gonna be tell when they are so young what color they will be for a while. But yea with different color snails in the tanks breeding you will get a mixed batch. The reason they have those colors is they were breed out in the snail, like purple with purple over and over, and by putting them in ur tank and letting them "choose" ur kind of undoing that, i think its cool to just let them go free though, i have blues golds and pearls in my snail tank right now, err one of them. Right now i have a blue and gold that are very interested in eachother so maybe some mixed babies soon lol

Sry didnt see this post earlier angie

Angila
05-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Thanks turkey i kinda thought it was weired u didn't respond your always my snail guy lol i can see very vibrant colors of purple yellow and ivory they are sooo pretty i just have so many lol i never have a mass amount of clutches usually as one hatches one is laid i have had a couple mishaps with clutches though i am not to terriably woried considering i have over 100 babies :)

Minderella83
05-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Are you going to keep all the babies? Congrats on all the snails. Mine dont lay eggs. Would love to see pics of the babies if you have any.

Angila
05-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Here are some pics i got one of her in the middle of laying and some of my snails and there is a pic of the babies but it is hard to see i will try to take some more pics as they are bigger now. Heck no i have hundreds of these snails and another clutch waiting i am trying to get shipping material around and hopefully shipping them out to some one lol

Minderella83
05-26-2008, 06:40 PM
I didnt see any pics, but would be willing to buy some. I love my snails.

Wild Turkey
05-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Here are some pics i got one of her in the middle of laying and some of my snails and there is a pic of the babies but it is hard to see i will try to take some more pics as they are bigger now. Heck no i have hundreds of these snails and another clutch waiting i am trying to get shipping material around and hopefully shipping them out to some one lol

If any of them end up being purples i will take some if you just want shipping costs, or dont want much
i have a 10gal snail tank and it only has 9 right now

Angila
05-26-2008, 06:56 PM
minderella check you pms and try this site i just took some ok pics of them
http://www.axcessmypics.com/Angila/fish/jsps/albumdetail?foneblog=1211828080442
check the fish album :)

Angila
05-26-2008, 07:10 PM
k turkey i left u a pm to

MandyL
05-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Sorry to hijack, but I've been wondering as well... If 2 different colours of snails breed, will they produce half one colour and half the other, or are the offspring each a mix of the colours and not pure of either? Does that make sense?

Wild Turkey
05-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Sorry to hijack, but I've been wondering as well... If 2 different colours of snails breed, will they produce half one colour and half the other, or are the offspring each a mix of the colours and not pure of either? Does that make sense?

Generally you're gonna get some one colour some the other colour and some mixed, but it depends on what colors you are starting with as well.

Angila
05-26-2008, 08:28 PM
some of my adults i bought turned out being purple and brown one of my blues is turning green and i have a beautiful one that is ivory but has light purple on the top in the sun it looks rainbow colored