PDA

View Full Version : froggies and bettas?

graceluvsplatys
05-14-2008, 10:45 PM
I have a female betta in a 1.5-2 gal tank. it has no filter or heater (trying to find one small enough!)
which tank would be best?
a 20g with no real lid, a filter, heater, and 5 platys
or
a 1.5-2g with a small female betta with no filter or heater...

I am trying to get a 7g long started up, as I know that would be best, but I dont have the supplies yet..

which would be best? If you believe that they would have a bad life in etiher, let me have it. I dpnt want unhappy frogs!

MandyL
05-14-2008, 10:58 PM
I really don't think you would have any problems with a female betta and your platies and frogs all in the 20gal.

However, you are still cycling. So that would be a heavy stocking list for a cycling tank.

ravenfern
05-15-2008, 09:24 AM
gracelusplateys i hope you dont mind me asking a question on your thread but can you keep aquatic frogs with bettas?
If you can do you keep the dwarf kind and can you keep them with male bettas in a 10 gallon?

MandyL
05-15-2008, 06:17 PM
It depends on the betta, but in my experience yes you can. Definitely the African Dwarf Frogs, not the Clawed Frogs as they will get big and eat the betta and any other fish.

graceluvsplatys
05-15-2008, 11:01 PM
no, i dont mind at all ravenfern. That is actually a quaestion I had.

I was planning to keep the betta alone, because shes been by herself for about 4 months, and I haerd that it is best for them to be sepearate after being alone for a long peroid of time. also, I was thinking, would it be better to move the betta in to the big tank, and the frogs into the small?

graceluvsplatys
05-15-2008, 11:03 PM
also, this is for after I am done cycling. I want to add fish asap after I am done, so i might as well get my reasearch done first!

invadertoast
05-15-2008, 11:42 PM
I would put your girl in the big tank, but it's really up to you. I think she would be happier in there, all my girls are very good in my community tank and are curious about everything. I see way more behavior/personailty in my girls that I do in my boys who are in their own tanks but close enough to see eachother. I don't know if you're still planning on a guorami or not, but I'd hold off on one if you decide to put your girl in the big tank.

Also, dwarf frogs are really sensitive to vibrations and might do better without a filter, which would also save you a little bit of money. You'd just need to do more water changes obviously.

graceluvsplatys
05-15-2008, 11:53 PM
My filter actually is for a smaller tank... it doesnt cause too much vibrations. I do have an airstone tho... I do not have to get a gourami. someone told me a very true statement, which was to take care of the ones I have first.
are you saying I should put the frog (s) in the filterless 1.5 gal? it has no heater, as I cant find one for that size. or, should i put everyone in the big tank( i will call it big, as it is compared to my other one), and see how it goes? or scrap the whole idea?

thanks so much everyone

MandyL
05-16-2008, 04:30 AM
I really think they would be fine all together in the 20gal, as long as you make sure the frogs get food.