PDA

View Full Version : 10g 2 dwarf gouramis

Abbeys_Mom
11-22-2006, 09:16 PM
I just bought 2 dwarf gouramis, both male. What are the chances of them being aggressive towards each other? I have had dwarf gouramis before, but it was a 33g community tank. They pretty much have the tank to themselves. The only other fish are 1 weather loach, 1 kuhli loach and a bristlenose pleco. I was thinking of adding a few sparking gouramis later, but mainly I want to keep it a simple planted tank. Any thoughts?

Lady Hobbs
11-23-2006, 12:11 AM
I've had dwarfs, males, and all they did was chase one another now and then. Never anything serious. I think getting all males as you did will kept the aggression down that comes with mating. They stay real pretty with the color enhanced food.

Glasstapper
11-23-2006, 12:13 AM
Just keep an eye on their health and aggression. I guess I was one of the unlucky few that got unusually aggressive ones who also had a tendency to get ill a lot.

Good luck with them. When they're not stressing out their human, they can be very rewarding. ;)

Abbeys_Mom
11-23-2006, 12:50 AM
So far I haven't seen much of them and they seem to be getting along. I am just glad they made it 24 hours without going belly up. I have had tons of problems with stock from my lfs (big chain, won't mention which one *****Pet). Most of the fish you get from them don't last a week. I tried to by tetras there once and they were dying in the net as the guy was trying to catch them.

Glasstapper
11-23-2006, 04:32 AM
Yikes. Is there another place you can get fish from? It sounds like they don't take care of their fish, and you could probably introduce disease to your tank in the future from them. You wouldn't want to lose an otherwise healthy stock by putting some sick new ones in there.

kimmers318
11-23-2006, 12:58 PM
10g 2 dwarf gouramis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just bought 2 dwarf gouramis, both male. What are the chances of them being aggressive towards each other? I have had dwarf gouramis before, but it was a 33g community tank. They pretty much have the tank to themselves. The only other fish are 1 weather loach, 1 kuhli loach and a bristlenose pleco. I was thinking of adding a few sparking gouramis later, but mainly I want to keep it a simple planted tank. Any thoughts?

My thoughts on the dwarfs is they normally would be fine together....esp. IME if they were purchased young......but, this set up you have going probably will not work out. A 10 gal is too small for 2 dwarfs, they should have at least a 20 minimum for their own territorial issues. When fully grown you are looking at just over 2" a piece...add those 4 inches to the weather loach and bristlenose....both which can also be 4+ inches themselves and you are quite well stocked. That isn't even taking into account the kuhli. Kuhli's really should be in groups, and in a larger tank, they like to zip around. You may be able to get away with the current stock if you keep on top of your tank maintenance, but please don't add any other fish until you can go with a larger tank.

gwenkat
11-23-2006, 01:29 PM
I also have Dwarfs, all male, and have seen no problems. I agree about getting a bigger tank. I have a weather loach and he started small, but is up to 4 inches now. I started him in a 10 and have since moved him to a 29. I got a couple Khuli's last night and they are also starting in the 10, but if all is well by this weekend they are moving to the 29 also. They need lots of room to play. I hope you enjoy yours.

Abbeys_Mom
11-23-2006, 02:05 PM
The weather loach is going to be gone soon. He/she is nearing the end of its lifespan. I had 4 origanally in my 33g. The other three died recently (old age). The kuhli is also about 4 years old. By the time the dwarves grow up, it will just be them and the pleco. I have a few live plants and am adding more. If it looks like space is going to be an issue, I do have a 27g hanging around. I am just glad to hear the they should get along. I know I had problems with 3 spots fighting. I eventualy took a couple bag and got a pearl gourami. It worked out well to have one of each (gold, 3 spot, pearl and dwarf) back when I had my community tank.