PDA

View Full Version : Swordtails with Ich - Some help please

Cichlid_Man
11-22-2006, 07:26 PM
Hi,
I just drove 70 miles to buy 2 swordtails so I could get my son's tank going.
Well, they looked fine in the store, but when I got them home, they were loaded with Ich.

I am not about to drive 70 miles to return 4 dollars worth of fish. They are the only ones in the tank. I'll try to save them :-)

Anyway, I am not a big fan of meds, but I am going to treat them with quick cure for 2 days, then depending on the advice I get here, I will treat them with salt for 10 more days. I like that combo of treatment.

My question is, can swordtails tolerate salt and 86 degrees?

I will raise the temp, shut the lights and add one tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons of water.

Lady Hobbs
11-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Sounds as you have the solution under control.

How do you tranfer your fish that far? I have a couple styrofoam coolers and was thinking of adding some of my own tank water and taking them along.

So.........how many cichlids did YOU get? :)

Cichlid_Man
11-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Sounds as you have the solution under control.

How do you tranfer your fish that far? I have a couple styrofoam coolers and was thinking of adding some of my own tank water and taking them along.

So.........how many cichlids did YOU get? :)

I do take styrofoam containers with my fish water. This way I avoid getting their water into my aquarium. otherwise I would have to pour them into a net when I get them home and that's too much stress for one day.

I didn't get any more cichlids Hobbs...
I have 13 and I think I will just enjoy them...I am afraid to over crowd...

So, the swordtails CAN tolerate salt???

Lady Hobbs
11-23-2006, 12:13 AM
They can tolerate it but might be able to tolerate the meds just as well. The trick is to get it right away as you did and not let it get into their gills.

Cichlid_Man
11-23-2006, 02:38 AM
They can tolerate it but might be able to tolerate the meds just as well. The trick is to get it right away as you did and not let it get into their gills.

They are not looking good at all.
They aren't flashing at the bottom or anything, and they did eat, but they seem to be dropping down from mid tank and hitting the gravel.
They look as if they can't float or something.

Very weird...