PDA

View Full Version : How to catch a shrimp in a planted FW Tank

LosC
05-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Looking for advice on how to catch a single shrimp in my 30g community without tearing up my tank. I figured my Rams ate it a long time ago but I noticed it hiding in a tiny cave. I want to move it out to my 20g with the rest of my Amanos. I'm worried if I push it out of its cave my Rams might attack it and I'll be all over the place trying to catch it and making a mess in my tank. I have a big net that doesnt work well in small spaces. Can anyone help?

smaug
05-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Looking for advice on how to catch a single shrimp in my 30g community without tearing up my tank. I figured my Rams ate it a long time ago but I noticed it hiding in a tiny cave. I want to move it out to my 20g with the rest of my Amanos. I'm worried if I push it out of its cave my Rams might attack it and I'll be all over the place trying to catch it and making a mess in my tank. I have a big net that doesnt work well in small spaces. Can anyone help?
trap him.Use a bottle with a 1" opening and at least 4" long,tie a string around the top and put bait in it.Sink it and wait,when he is in there just quickly pull him out.Ive used this method to catch CAE in the past.It would work with any bottom scavenger.Good luck.

MandyL
05-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Smaug's idea sounds good! But if he's actually in his cave, can you just put the net over the entrance and pull the cave out?

LosC
05-14-2008, 05:53 AM
Great idea smaug but my Amano is staying put. Its been in the cave for who knows how long, dont know how I missed it there but it probably moves around at night when the "sharks" (my rams) are sleeping so that explains why I never seen it. I can only imagine the kind of stress the little guy is going through. Its cave is made up of stacked slate rocks, so if I pull one they all come crashing down.

Here are some pics so you can see the situation better. Could I try the bottle thing at night? I have a moonlight, I could aim it at the bottle and wait.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o305/truko_loko13/DSC00902-1.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o305/truko_loko13/DSC00937.jpg

smaug
05-14-2008, 04:22 PM
make it a dark bottle with good bait and yes leave it in in there till you catch him,it may take a while

Lady Hobbs
05-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Throw a piece of java moss in it if you have some. They will hide in that and you can pick it up with a net all at once. I catch mine pretty easier by sticking in either java moss or an algae pellet in the corner where the others can't find it.

LosC
05-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Got em out! I slowly removed the slate rocks one by one till I uncovered his cave. He wasn't moving much and he only darted once. Last month when I was moving out all of them they were darting around like crazy. I found it odd that it started eating when I was trying to net it but then I realized it must've been starving.Once I got it in the 20g with the rest of its kind I noticed it was alot smaller than the others. hopefully the little guy comes through and puts on weight.

Ellen4God
05-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Good job catching him!! He should have plenty more opportunity to eat now!

RainMan
05-15-2008, 08:27 PM
I had to come in and read this. LOL

They need to make a miniature home fish catching vaccum system like those specimen contraptions used on deep sea subs.

Good job getting it done without having the million dollar scientific equipment those spoiled scientist have?:19:

:hmm3grin2orange: :4: :hmm3grin2orange: