PDA

View Full Version : DIY aquarium stand

Incredulous_Ed
11-21-2006, 11:54 PM
I sure hope this is the right place to put this thread.....

Anyway, I recently bought A glass 20 gal aquarium (225 pounds) and my dad wants us to make a stand for it. I don't doubt his building abilities, but the last time he built his own stand the tank on it cracked, probably because it wasn't level or something, but that was long agoooo.......

Any tips or suggestions? I'm a bit worried about it cracking and making a mess on the new carpet, so tips are very welcome.

montez24
11-24-2006, 12:20 AM
when you make your own stand, you must first make it level & then the most important thing is that...you must put a styrofoam/ polysteryne on the stand table before you put the aquariom on.

Lady Hobbs
11-24-2006, 05:47 AM
I just saw an aquarium stand that was sitting on 3 cider blocks on each end with 2 x 4's laid across the top.

Incredulous_Ed
11-27-2006, 09:37 PM
OK everyone, I built the stand, and I put the tank on it, only to find out that one of the corners is not resting on the stand. how do I fix this?

Lady Hobbs
11-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Howmuch is hanging off the stand because you can slide that tank forward until it's to the edge as long as it's not hanging over at all. If it still is hanging over, cut a piece of inch plywood and lay between the tank and stand so all is resting on something.

guess you can tell I resized your picture? lol

Incredulous_Ed
11-29-2006, 03:14 AM
sorry about that,
what I meant was that the wood is not perfectly level so that one corner is slightly elevated.
sorry for the confusion

gladdy39
11-29-2006, 09:43 AM
The top piece of wood is probably bowed or bent, this is often caused by too much moisture in the timber at anyone time, if u were a perfectionist u would have to replace the top with a fresh piece of wood which would almost mean building the whole thing again. Alternatively you could pack the corner with something so that all 4 corners are supported by something and it is level.

Lady Hobbs
11-29-2006, 08:12 PM
A piece of plywood would give you a nice level surface for that tank still. It will cover up an imperfections you may be concerned with. You can also put down a piece of pegboard or styrofoam. Pegboard would probably look better, tho.

Incredulous_Ed
11-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Well thanks for the tips. I found a 1/4 inch thick foamy welcom mat that I'm using to evenly distribute the weight.

Lady Hobbs
11-29-2006, 08:14 PM
sorry about that,
what I meant was that the wood is not perfectly level so that one corner is slightly elevated.
sorry for the confusion

Confused? Me? I was born that way and nothing has changed. :)

No problem with the resizing either. It's not like I'm not used to it. LOL