PDA

View Full Version : Mass snail death.

ncbuckeye
05-12-2008, 11:11 PM
I don't know what exactly I did, but I killed all my snails somehow, I'm guessing something on one of the rocks I put in the tank, or to much salt maybe? But also, what the best way to clean all the dead out?

smaug
05-13-2008, 12:06 AM
what kind of snails?

ncbuckeye
05-13-2008, 12:19 AM
the pesty pond snails,

smaug
05-13-2008, 12:33 AM
That sucks ,they get to stinking right quick.Get there shells and such out and get some carbon in the filter to clean the water up.The best way to clean there bodys up is manually I suppose.

Wild Turkey
05-13-2008, 12:41 AM
The salt. Its recommended that you never introduce salt to a tank with snails. If it were something else it would probably have to be copper, they have zero tolerance to that as well.

This of course doesnt apply to sw varietys

ncbuckeye
05-13-2008, 01:29 AM
Yeah could have been the salt, but it's always been in there, maybe I added more than usually but I don't recall.

smaug
05-13-2008, 01:32 AM
whats the salt for?

ncbuckeye
05-13-2008, 01:33 AM
I really don't know, when the tank with cichlids were given to me, the guy said he puts a 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallons, and I have been doing it since. I always heard a little is good.

smaug
05-13-2008, 01:37 AM
Salt is of no use at all unless you are treating for ich or in a hospital tank to help with the slime coat of an injured fish.Stop using it for a month and take note to any changes.Im sure there will be none.

ncbuckeye
05-13-2008, 01:41 AM
ok, I think I'll try it in a couple of my tanks, I've had an ick problem in my 29 gal before so it'll be the last to get changed over.

smaug
05-13-2008, 01:49 AM
Yup,your tanks will be better off for it.

ncbuckeye
05-13-2008, 01:55 AM
they why do some recommend it?

Ellen4God
05-13-2008, 02:03 AM

Maybe it's something that used to be done? Sometimes such practices are done for awhile, and then it's realized that it isn't necessary. Also, some people think different ways. They may think that the salt does indeed help, while another may think that it's just a waste of salt. Depends on who you ask sometimes. :) Wouldn't hurt giving a go at not adding it. If you find that the fish react negatively to the salt-ridden tank, then start the salt back up.

Wild Turkey
05-13-2008, 02:04 AM

Good question. But your snails may have just died from sustaining the levels of salt more a while, i dont think it will like kill them instantly, but i know youve heard of pouring salt on slugs, well theyre very similar to snails. A few 75% wcs over a week or so should lower it enough to get some more snails if you like.

smaug
05-13-2008, 02:05 AM
Thats a dang fine question!Mostly because people see it being used in the fish shops is my guess,after all they are the pros right?The things that are said about its benefits are generally true.Its addition does have a small benefit,such as helping with the slime coat and improved gill function,very small.The problem with its use is the fact that its used a crutch in place of keeping better water parameters and general tank cleanliness.The drawbacks you have seen first hand with your big snail kill [very likely the salt].Also with salt it does not leave the water with evaporation so as you add water the salt level stays the same then you add more salt and it gets saltier until slowly but surely you have built up a toxic level of the stuff.People also still use under gravel filters and they have been proven to be of little use as well.
I am too slow at typing,2 posts ahaead of me with the same ideas!I said it first I swear!

Drip Loop
05-13-2008, 02:25 AM
Does that apply to epsom salt as well? I thought the magnesium and such was good for cichlids. Wrong?

xoolooxunny
05-13-2008, 02:29 AM
buckeye, is this the same tank you added the zebra loaches to? If so, they had a feast and spit the shells out!

smaug
05-13-2008, 02:29 AM
there are cichlids that need a higher alkalinty and ph,is that what you refer to?I know next to nothing about cichlids and alkaloid loving fish,maybe someone else can field this one.

PUNISHER VETTE
05-13-2008, 02:35 AM
damn...i might run out and dump a bucket of salt in my tank if it'll kill all the snails.

All that had-a-snail was was some kind of copper and it just melted my Vals.

So i can't use that...

5 cups of salt do it you think? i want to be sure they're dead.

smaug
05-13-2008, 02:36 AM
damn...i might run out and dump a bucket of salt in my tank if it'll kill all the snails.

All that had-a-snail was was some kind of copper and it just melted my Vals.

So i can't use that...

5 cups of salt do it you think? i want to be sure they're dead.
and a quarter stick should just about do it for you PV LMAO.

PUNISHER VETTE
05-13-2008, 02:39 AM
and a quarter stick should just about do it for you PV LMAO.

that might work. :27:

smaug
05-13-2008, 02:41 AM
Make SURE you post pics of that!I can guarentee my vote for POTM for that shot :hmm3grin2orange:

PUNISHER VETTE
05-13-2008, 03:56 AM
Make SURE you post pics of that!I can guarentee my vote for POTM for that shot :hmm3grin2orange:

well that worked well. I went ahead and used a little more then required i think...but results were achieved.

Wild Turkey
05-13-2008, 04:01 AM
Lol you guys.

sandy_n
05-13-2008, 04:21 AM
That's a good one :hmm3grin2orange: