PDA

View Full Version : snail ?

smoochxoxo
05-12-2008, 12:21 PM
My daughter wants snails in the 10G. what type of snails could or should we have that wont over populate the tank if I can keep up getting them out? I have been lucky with no hitch-hikers from the lfs plants and they usually have lots of snails to give away. Also will snails get out of a tank say if the back has a space for them to get out? I don't want dead stinky snail on my living room floor :)
lol
Hugs

Wild Turkey
05-12-2008, 12:59 PM
My daughter wants snails in the 10G. what type of snails could or should we have that wont over populate the tank if I can keep up getting them out? I have been lucky with no hitch-hikers from the lfs plants and they usually have lots of snails to give away. Also will snails get out of a tank say if the back has a space for them to get out? I don't want dead stinky snail on my living room floor :)
lol
Hugs

Mystery Snails!!! :) They dont breed without one of each sex, and even then they lay their eggs above the water line in a clump, so they are easily removed if not wanted. THe snails themselves come in a variety of beautiful colors and can get pretty large. Its a snail thats actually "fun" to watch sometimes, colorful and fast moving. Also they have been known to have "fun" like riding the bubbles up over and over. Ive seen it happen its pretty funny. They also like to climb up to the top and drop off.

Wild Turkey
05-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Sorry i failed to address ur escaping question, and its too late to edit it in so i gotta double post, even though i hate doing it.

I have heard some reports of escapees, but i strongly suspect its due to poor conditions the snails are attempting to escape. They prefer the water, and all of my seem to turn around when they feel the air, the first week or so i was worried about it as well, but at this point its not a big concern, i leave the water line about an inch lower than the top, so they can lay eggs easily and they turn around before they hit the top.
Really, the only problem ive ever had with them is the will pop suction cups off of the glass if you dont put them on really well, the tend to "bump" stuff with their shell if its in their way, instead of going around. My favorite one used to pop my submersable thermometer off the back of my tank once a day, but i stuck it on really well one day, and now hes goes around it after a few tries :)

smoochxoxo
05-12-2008, 02:32 PM
I will look into them, will they chow on the plants that I have in my ten gallon? I have read the mostly clean the algae off and leftover but are any of the plants that I have might they eat?
Thanks for your help!

ETA: Are mystery snails just apple snails? Thats all the info i can find?

also I saw there are pink ones...where would I get a pink snail??? My daughter would be in her glory!!! Are they dyed that way like they do fish? If so then I wouldn't want it but if not I think a pink one she would love!!!

Wild Turkey
05-12-2008, 02:34 PM
I will look into them, will they chow on the plants that I have in my ten gallon? I have read the mostly clean the algae off and leftover but are any of the plants that I have might they eat?
Thanks for your help!

I keep plastics in my snail tank because they fill chew on leaf plants, mosses should be fine though, and probably thin-leafed plants like swords. Im sure they will eat ferns though.

Anytime Jenn

MandyL
05-12-2008, 06:00 PM
I don't think they dye snails... I have seen purple ones but not pink. It's just the shell that is a different colour, the body underneath will be the same. ;)

Wild Turkey
05-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Ive heard rumors but nothing more so far. Yea they come in purple, but ive never seen pink, they are most likley painted instead of dyed, which i suspect means when they snail grows, the pink will split and fade, and who knows if its good for the other things in ur aquarium or not. I'd steer clear of pink ones just in case, but most of the time when i see people refer to "pink" snails they are actually the purple variety, a rarity but they can be ordered, their body is pink and their shell is purple. Like this http://www.northernsnails.com/images/uploads/pink.jpg

Possibly more research is in order, i would do everything i could to avoid purchasing any kind of altered fish/snails.

And yes mysterys are a type of apple snail.

smoochxoxo
05-12-2008, 11:52 PM
http://home.mchsi.com/~masts/magentajanuary2.jpg

this is the pink one I am referring to, but then again maybe it is actually not that color?
Anyhow I like the one you posted about too.
I can't see buying just one online? Do most places have them?
Hugs

MandyL
05-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Most stores should have them but not neccesarilly in any cool colours.

Minderella83
05-13-2008, 12:07 AM
I have never seen any bright colors other than gold, I did get a blue one but it is kinda a bluish-gray color.

Wild Turkey
05-13-2008, 12:35 AM
Most petstores have black, blue, and gold, other colors are rarer