PDA

View Full Version : Firemouth tricked me

Lady Hobbs
05-12-2008, 11:39 AM
My smallest firemouth (Mr Mean I call him) was thought to be a male. He was the one who hide behind a fern all day, right in the center of the tank, ready to attack anything that come in the middle in HIS area. The bigger one, his mate, lay on her butt in the cave all day while HE did all the work.

Yesterday HE spawned! LOL Yup. I had these two firemouths turned around sex wise. She is the dominate one, the one to take on anything in the tank and the smaller of the two. A real junk-yard-dog.

My other pair is just the opposite. The female remains in her cave and her mate is guarding their side of the tank and is smaller than she is.

Goes to show you can't tell all cichlids by sizes and temperament. I would have swore that due to her size and her aggression that she was the male but she pulled one over on me. Makes you wonder how two pairs of cichlids can be so different.

I had the same confusion when trying to sex my angels. Some of my males were very large and some of my females larger than their mates. Sexing can be sooooo confusing!

sandy_n
05-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Even in humans :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
05-12-2008, 11:54 AM
LOLOLOL Especially in humans!

Men bleach their hair and wear earrings. Woman wear pants. (Except for Hillary, of course, who wears those god-awful polyester pant suits.)

nanaglen2001
05-12-2008, 02:38 PM
I observed so0mething with one of my FM pairs, when they spawned and afterwards cared for their offspring. It wasnt the mother who cared more for the babies, oh no it was the father. After some 3 weeks or so, he chased the mother away and cared for his kiddies for more than 10 weeks. Normaly its said the mother cares, the father is on patrole...hmmm

Fish are just like us, unpredictable:hmm3grin2orange:

Wild Turkey
05-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Sounds like she has a napoleon complex.

Lady Hobbs
05-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Fish just like to keep us guessing. All this time I thought she was just one old meanie and here she ends up just being an old hag. I have NO idea why she is so small. She's 1/3 the size of my other female.

Wild Turkey
05-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Fish just like to keep us guessing. All this time I thought she was just one old meanie and here she ends up just being an old hag. I have NO idea why she is so small. She's 1/3 the size of my other female.

Could the larger fish be out competing her for food? or keeping her from eating as much aggressively? Just a thought

Lady Hobbs
05-13-2008, 01:06 AM
Actually, being the meanie that she is, she chased the others away. She's just a runt, tho.

tropfish
05-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Geez Hobbs what is with you and tricky fish. First the Angels and now the FM's

Lady Hobbs
05-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Today they are moving the eggs. I don't know why I'm excited. I just can't see 20 firemouths in this tank together. LOL

Juannie
05-16-2008, 03:06 AM
You just can never tell can you - your tank must be awesome, your stories about these guys always make me smile!