PDA

View Full Version : will lettuce get the babies to come out?

Angila
05-12-2008, 02:52 AM
Ok as posted earlier my snails hatched i was only able to grab some out before they got to the bottom they are soooo tiny and impossiable to pick up so i am wondering if the lettuce or cucumber trick will work on the babies and if so exactly how do i do it? I want to keep all the snails but i want them in the 10gallon nursery so they don't get in the bigger ones shells. please someone help me figure out how to get these tiney bugers out.

Wild Turkey
05-12-2008, 03:11 AM
Ok as posted earlier my snails hatched i was only able to grab some out before they got to the bottom they are soooo tiny and impossiable to pick up so i am wondering if the lettuce or cucumber trick will work on the babies and if so exactly how do i do it? I want to keep all the snails but i want them in the 10gallon nursery so they don't get in the bigger ones shells. please someone help me figure out how to get these tiney bugers out.

Ive never seen a snail neglect lettuce or cucumber.

Boil it, let it cool.
Put it in a mason jar, or just leave it if you dont mind having a few on ur fingers.
Sink it to the bottom, after a few hours, check it, it should be covered in them.
Remove the lettuce or the jar and put it in the new tank the way you would a fish.
If you didnt use the jar, you wont be able to drip acclimate, because if you use a bag on snails so small, you will probably loose alot of them in the bag, so i would use the jar only for this reason. You will also probably end up with them on your hands either way, the best way i would say to get them off would be wash your hands INSANELY WELL before hand, and then wash your hands off with recycled tank water into the tank, briefly. I wouldnt waste the time doing it, but just in case you are worried about loosing a few you can do that. If you have a small plaastic container, you can use that with the same method, wash it out into the tank, and wash it very well before hand. I doubt this will work well with a bag.

Hope that helps Good luck

Lady Hobbs
05-12-2008, 11:57 AM
An algae pellet in a jar laying on it's side will work.

Angila
05-12-2008, 12:03 PM
thanks!!! so much!!! I am gonna try today

Ghostknife
05-12-2008, 12:28 PM
I have tried a couple of times with the lettuce myself, it never worked for some reason. My baby pakistani loach went in & destroyed them though. Thank god for that!!

Angila
05-14-2008, 03:55 AM
i tried the algea wafer thing it didn't work so in the morning when i switch on the light i have just been hand picking them out i figure there are so many and i still hae 3 clutches waiting to hatch that what ever survives will be better than nothing right?