PDA

View Full Version : Shark Fish

peggygwilliams
05-12-2008, 02:06 AM
Want to buy shark fish for a small aquarium, Do I need a heater for these fish?:

smaug
05-12-2008, 02:11 AM
most shark fish get big,Balas get 12" plus irredecents get huge as well.Most of them are not suited to any but the biggest tanks read up,yes sharkes are tropical and need a heater.

peggygwilliams
05-12-2008, 02:24 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the information. What kind of heater do you recommend?
peggygwilliams

Drumachine09
05-12-2008, 03:28 AM
What kind of "shark fish" are you wanting to get? What is the filtration? Tank mates? Did you cycle your tank? If so, how?

cocoa_pleco
05-12-2008, 04:14 AM
are you looking for something that resembles a shark, or just has shark in its name? rainbow sharks are suitable for 15g+ tanks, but dont really resemble sharks

peggygwilliams
05-12-2008, 04:19 AM
The type of shark fish is a small minno like shark looking little fish that has blck trim around fins. Also, my tank is small, a ten gallon, shortly used by gold fish for about a month. I purchased a whisper filter and small heater. I must say I did not start out to purchase these five tropical fish. I was to buy a couple of gold fish for my grandson, when he saw the shark fish he wanted them.
Thanks,
peggygwilliams

Lady Hobbs
05-12-2008, 12:59 PM
None for small tanks. Sharks are big swimmers and need room no matter what size they get. Stick with small fish for small tanks.

Ghostknife
05-12-2008, 01:18 PM
The type of shark fish is a small minno like shark looking little fish that has blck trim around fins. Also, my tank is small, a ten gallon, shortly used by gold fish for about a month. I purchased a whisper filter and small heater. I must say I did not start out to purchase these five tropical fish. I was to buy a couple of gold fish for my grandson, when he saw the shark fish he wanted them.
Thanks,
peggygwilliams

Is that not a Bala Shark?? If so, as Cocoa said, they get about 12". Your tank would be way too small if that was the case!!

smaug
05-12-2008, 05:56 PM
the fish you describe is definetly a Bala shark,they are beautiful but as has been mentioned there size makes them prohibitive in tanks smaller the 75 gals.AAMOF,I just gave one away that I had that was 7" ,I have a 58 gal tank.What other fish have you thought of for your 15gal?What behaviours/look do you find interesting?

duce
05-12-2008, 06:07 PM
it maybe a silver shark which i found to be peaceful but can grow to 6 ins ???