PDA

View Full Version : Smell Help!!!!!

TehTANK
11-21-2006, 07:15 PM
I have a 90 gallon tank and I have a 8-9 inch oscar and a small little catfish kinda fish in there for bottom feeding. Anyway i am running 2 filters on it. I am sorry but I am not sure what they are but I know the one filter is more then enough for the tank but I hooked up a second smaller filter just for extra filtration. Anyway, I was gone for a week on vacation and when I got back there was this brown sludge everywhere on the inside of the tank and even on the hood. It was thick and nasty. I am not sure what it even was. Do any of you????? Also today my wife got home from school and the house smelled horrible. Like a big terd basically. Anyway she says it is my fish tank?????? Why is my fish tank smelling like this????? Can anyone help or have any info on this?

Thanks so much!

Fishguy2727
11-21-2006, 09:13 PM
Was there a power outage while you were gone? Are the fish fine? What are the water parameters? (pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, etc.) The types of filters and bottom feeder will also help.

TehTANK
11-21-2006, 09:17 PM
No power outage that I know of. The clocks weren't flashing. The bottom feeder is a cory catfish. I have never had a problem before with this brown stuff. It actually looks like poop to be honest with you. It's very sludgy and was all over the inside of the tank. Anyway, the filters I have on there...well I know the one is large enough for a 90 gallon tank. I bought it when I got the tank and was just running the tank on that one by itself for a long time and it was doing just fine with that one. Just a week or so ago I added another 40 gallon filter to the tank that I used to have on my 29 gallon. I upgraded the tank and kept the filter. I thought it would be good to put that filter on it for extra filtration. These are the filters you put the spounges in and what not. I am sorry I don't know more. Right now I am at work and not at home where my wife says it is stinking up the house.

TehTANK
11-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Oh my levels are all perfect. I just did a check on them on Sunday.Oh and my temps are around 75-78 degrees The fish seem to be just fine.

Lady Hobbs
11-21-2006, 11:04 PM
How long since you did a good gravel cleaning.......tank cleaning, actually? Those oscars can get pretty poopie characters.

TehTANK
11-22-2006, 01:15 PM
I usually do a gravel cleaning once a week when I do my water changes. I clean the tank as well once a week. It litterly was a week from the last cleaning. I cleaned it the day I left and the day I got back It was looking like this. It was so thick I almost couldn't see inside the tank. It was crazy! I am just happy my fish are still alive. They had to have a hard time breathing through all that sludge. If anyone has any info on this or knows anything about this I could really use the help.

Lady Hobbs
11-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Was someone feeding him for you in your absence or did you possibly use auto feeders? Sure is odd. Almost sounds as you filter was malfunctioning. Maybe that needs to be taken apart and cleaned? At least the fish are fine and all is well now that dad is home.

TehTANK
11-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Your telling me! I am just glad my kids are fine! LOL No my wife was feeding them while I was gone. I think I am going to take the filters apart and clean them. I made sure to teach her exactly what to do when feeding my fish so she knew what to do. It is really weird. I will continue to keep an eye on it and see if it continues. Thanks for your help Hobbs!

If anyone else has any insite on this please let me know.

Lady Hobbs
11-22-2006, 04:27 PM
I was telling my son I give my fish peas, parsley, roman lettuce, spinach, zucchini and what-all and he asked if I planned to throw a turkey leg in the tank for Thanksgiving, too. I told him no, they don't eat meat but I was thinking maybe some mashed potatoes and gravy would be appreciated. LOL

TehTANK
11-22-2006, 06:14 PM
Hobbs,

You have an oscar? How long have you had em? What size tank do you have? I am curious to other things I can feed my oscar. I have never given him anything other then live fish(which I regret because he got sick from them) and fish pellets. I would like to increase his diet and give him some different things that he may enjoy. If you do feed him other stuff....quantity would help me in determaining what to feed my little guy.

Thanks for sharing the story about your son and your fish. I found that very funny. I have a daughter on the way and can't wait to share the great world of fish with her and see her reactions to the fish and the tank when she gets old enough to understand them. Who says fish can't celebrate thanksgiving as well...

TurboVtec93
11-22-2006, 06:47 PM
I cant really help you much about the sludge but for feeding them my oscars main diet are Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold which is kind of expensive ($20 usd) for an 8.8oz pouch but my oscars love it. They also get veggies, krill, blood worms, cichlid sticks (good for feeding them by hand and making them jump for it) and every once in a while ill give them live fish. For live fish I like to feed them platies as they are healthier then goldfish and are usually kept in better water conditions then goldfish. Platies are nice and easy to breed too so you can raise your own feeders and assure that they are healthy. For other live foods they like earthworms and I keep some crayfish in my tank so my oscars can snack on them and until they do become a snack they doo a good job of keeping the bottom clean. Home I helped atleast a little bit.

-Alex

TurboVtec93
11-22-2006, 06:50 PM
Sorry for double posting but I just wanted to let you know, im sure my guys will get a little bit of turkey. If you do this dont give them too much as its hard fopr them to digest it. As a matter of fact if you do it give them some green peas after to help them digest it.

-Alex

TehTANK
11-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks Alex! I am going to be trying some new stuff. I just need to find out what is going on with this sludge before I do anything. It is still coming back. I have to do a major cleaning tonight to get it out of there! I wish I knew what was causing this......

Abbeys_Mom
11-27-2006, 02:15 PM
The "Sludge" was probably a brown algae bloom. It happens from time to time for various reason. It can get on the hood of your aquarium if you have the filter splashing or an air stone bubbling up near the lid. My advice is to vacuum more until you are sure it is gone.

TehTANK
11-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Thanks so much for the advice. I wasn't sure if it was alge or if it was something else. It is back again this week so I am going to have to do more cleanings I think to get rid of it....

Thanks again for the help!

Abbeys_Mom
11-27-2006, 03:56 PM
No problem. I had the same thing happen when I got my sister to watch my tanks a few Christmases ago. She left the lights on for the whole week. She also "lost" a few crickets in my apartment. Needless to say, I haven't left anything in her care since.