PDA

View Full Version : *(pics) I need some expert advice on what to do :*(

shalafi04
05-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Yantos definately got the best of saber (the fighting oscars). Well its pretty bad... I seperated them and medicated poor saber but I think he's got days numbered here in the real world... Im posting a couple of pics and if you honestly dont think he's gonna make it, how do I off him in a nice way.

i swear if he dies.... yantos is a goner!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mistyart/100_5704.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mistyart/100_5703.jpg

Rue
05-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Put him in a salted hospital tank...I think he'll be fine...

Ryuu
05-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Same here, BUT, if euthinasia is the best way, I would put him in a small container, and then put the container in the freezer, what happens is his body organs shut down slowly and he falls asleep before he passes, that way its peacefull

Halelorf
05-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Oscars are pretty quick healers and very tough. I would put a divider up and add some melafix to the tank to help with the healing. If it does look like it won't make it you can use clove oil to euthanise the fish. I can't remember the exact dosage to make it fall asleep then you can freeze it, but google clove oil euthanise and it should get you something. You should be able to get clove oil from pharmacy.

shalafi04
05-11-2008, 10:53 PM
yeah i seperated him from the bastard for now.... poor baby.... i just hate to see him suffering. He's quit eating too and considering he's a Oscar and eating is his favorite thing to do... im extra concerned

shalafi04
05-11-2008, 11:03 PM
where do you get clove oil ?????????

Ryuu
05-11-2008, 11:12 PM
local pharmacys have them

Fishalicious
05-11-2008, 11:25 PM
Same here, BUT, if euthinasia is the best way, I would put him in a small container, and then put the container in the freezer, what happens is his body organs shut down slowly and he falls asleep before he passes, that way its peacefull

If the worst comes to the worst which I really hope not <fingers crossed> please go down the clove oil route and don't just put him in the freezer...so sorry to disagree Bolivian Ram but freezing to death isn't a really nice death...like you say yourself the organs shut down slowly (slowly being the main word here)... and we all know how we feel when we are freezing cold... on top of that being awake in a small container in a strange place is also gonna stress him and the time it takes to freeze to death he is going to be really scared. Best to use clove oil to put him to sleep and then overdose so his organs shut down while he is under.

I reckon the tough guy will be fine though... as others have said Oscars are strong

Got my fingers crossed here xxxx

Ryuu
05-11-2008, 11:39 PM
lol I didnt mention the clove oil because hale did under me

Arkie
05-12-2008, 12:45 AM
i think he will be ok, my oscars fight alot and ernie often gets beaten up a bit. he always recovers to fight another day!!!! oscars are excellent at recovering and remarkably quickly too. i was suprised that ernie is still with us after oscar attacked him. he is now in with bert and they still have their dissagreements but they seem to be fairly matched and there is no major damage done to either party.
good luck with your baby and keep us updated :11:

shalafi04
05-12-2008, 12:46 AM
thanks everyone. I'm not sure what I'm doing with these guys. If he dies though, the other one is a goner. I'm a very vengeful person and Saber is my little Oscar Lover and its super sad to see him so beat up. I'm also super concerned now that whatever that thing was in the tank yesterday was a part of him... that and his injuries may explain why he isnt eating.

I'm just not sure what to look for before making the call to put him down

shalafi04
05-12-2008, 12:48 AM
i think he will be ok, my oscars fight alot and ernie often gets beaten up a bit. he always recovers to fight another day!!!! oscars are excellent at recovering and remarkably quickly too. i was suprised that ernie is still with us after oscar attacked him. he is now in with bert and they still have their dissagreements but they seem to be fairly matched and there is no major damage done to either party.
good luck with your baby and keep us updated :11:

the thing is that his skin is actually pulled up away from his body, Underneath he actually looks like a fellet you would buy at the market... is this normal injury for them?

Arkie
05-12-2008, 12:58 AM
ernie looked like that when oscar attacked him but he had those injures all over. it looked bad, i found him wedged underneath a rock, some driftwood and the corner of the tank, he was lying flat and seriously looked dead. i couldnt see much of his orange patterning cause of all the wounds along his sides. i moved him and treated with melafix and he rocovered really well. no scarring or anything. i did see that thing you pulled from your tank and i have no idea what it was either, hopefully not an organ or anything to major. he might just be off his food for a bit cause he is stressed. give him time he may come good.
fingers crossed for him though.

cocoa_pleco
05-12-2008, 02:23 AM
he should be fine, im tempted to say for sure but i dont want anyone coming after me. lol

One time, my old oscar freaked out once, and spazzed around the tank. he had hundreds of deep gashes and had that white fillet look on his skin, in a week he was better. oscars heal surprisingly fast

Ocellatus
05-12-2008, 08:26 AM
ah please don't talk about euthanasia for an oscar! thats not a deadly wound at all, treat the tank to prevent fungus and he will be fine soon.

Lady Hobbs
05-12-2008, 11:12 AM
I see no open wounds and this looks like just some scales lost. I think he'll be fine, too. But I don't know as they should be together when they fight like this. Some people don't mind, I guess, but if you don't want 300 oscars, why have them put up with this (and you.)

jbeining75
05-12-2008, 12:49 PM
He should be good..... Just keep them seperated for a while.... Try to add a small amount of salt and some stress coat to the tank...

Tolley
05-12-2008, 03:26 PM
uhh im really sorry about sabar and all but you keep saying the other oscar is a goner and all that. Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't they both in something like 30gallons together?

shalafi04
05-12-2008, 04:41 PM
yeah tolley they are but I believe everyone here is aware that those oscars were sort of dropped on my door step and that I have a 75g I'm picking up on the 15th of next month.... so with that said... im doing what I can to hold things together until they can get into a suitable living area. Right now I got a husband fixing to deploy, 2 sick children, and a pathetic military paycheck that leaves me with with few options on pampering fish I didn't even want.

They are seperated now, doing fine, and healing well....

Rue
05-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Glad they're healing!:19:

If you really have neither time, money nor inclination for them, have you tried rehoming them?

Life is too stressful to have to deal with pets you didn't ask for...

shalafi04
05-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Glad they're healing!:19:

If you really have neither time, money nor inclination for them, have you tried rehoming them?

Life is too stressful to have to deal with pets you didn't ask for...

well the thing is. the LFS wont take them, and they are sort of fond of me despite my major fear of them... lol Finances aren't a problem once my husband goes off to war and I do love these two otherwise I'd just let them kill eachother rather than seperating them. And I sure wouldn't be throwing down hundreds of dollars next month to rehome them when I could be getting my sw tank.

I guess I'd just rather adjust to them and know they are safe than send them to someone who doesn't know what they are doing. ya know???

Tolley
05-12-2008, 04:50 PM
yeah tolley they are but I believe everyone here is aware that those oscars were sort of dropped on my door step and that I have a 75g I'm picking up on the 15th of next month.... so with that said... im doing what I can to hold things together until they can get into a suitable living area. Right now I got a husband fixing to deploy, 2 sick children, and a pathetic military paycheck that leaves me with with few options on pampering fish I didn't even want.

They are seperated now, doing fine, and healing well....

i know about all that and everything you are doing your best i am just saying don't blame the other oscar it couldnt be helped.

shalafi04
05-12-2008, 04:59 PM
no i know... and i could never kill a fish that didn't need to be put down(thats just said out of frustration)... And I know they have a crappy life right nowand feel terrible about it... so I'm just gonna keep them away from eachother til I get the 75g is put up than I can spoil them rotten. I just feel bad, if they had stayed with the other girl, who gave them to me, they'd probably already be dead by now from ammonia or nitrite poisoning. But looking at poor saber I feel like they'd be better off dead already :(

I just want my poor fishies to be happy *sigh*

Rue
05-12-2008, 05:21 PM
They will be! Don't get too frustrated!

shalafi04
05-12-2008, 06:28 PM
im debating on putting them on craigslist free to a good home. and I have no shame in not allowing them to go if the person doesn't have a 75g or larger with the right tank mates/none at all. I just really want to keep them, but if I keep them I can't get my SW. :/ oh the life of a fish junky

MandyL
05-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Personally, I would have no problem finding them a good home if they are taking the place of the fish you really want. Just make sure that if you do place an ad, it specifies what size tank you would adopt them out to.

Sorry to hear about your husband being deployed... I can't imagine how rough it is to send him off.