PDA

View Full Version : Baby Kribensis

Juannie
11-21-2006, 05:03 AM
Just wondering whether anyone has suggestions. My pair of kribs have had babies (well about 2mths ago), there are around 25-30 left in the tank. The only problem is they're in a mixed tropical tank with gouramis, bala shark, white redtail shark, green severum, cory's, tetras. I have semi split the tank and they have lots of hiding places with their parents. Do the parents eventually eat the babies as they get bigger? Would it be safer to remove the babies altogether into another tank (which I'd have to set up)? I don't want them all eaten and my little severum is quite a hunter (or tries to be). Any thoughts would be a great help!
THANK
And no, I didn't plan on babies they just decided they'd like to come along - not that I'm complaining of course they're gorgeous.

Lady Hobbs
11-21-2006, 05:58 AM
You could send those Kribs to Jeff who apparently is unable to find any. :)

Kribs are supposed to be pretty unaggressive as far as cichlids go unless when breeding. I know several who keep them in community tanks. I don't think your bala would be a problem at all. They get large but are known to be pussy cats. The little severum may be a problem (or may not.) Many of them are also very docile. The breeding thing with cichlids is my only drawback in getting them. Sounds as they breed like rabbits.

Possibly you may have a pet store in your area that would buy some from you. A year from now, you may have a million of those little buggers.

kimmers318
11-21-2006, 01:32 PM
As I understand it, kribs will take care of their babies as much as they can, including defending them from other predators. The biggest problems you may see as they babies grow and start to venture out on their own is increased aggression from the parents trying to protect them, and then the added bioload on a tank from the growth of 25-30 little ones. Someone with more experience can give you tips on when you should remove them to a grow out tank. My personal feeling on any critter that wants to rear it's young rather than leave it fend for itself is to leave the young with the parents for as long as possible. Said parents have an ingrained desire to rear their young and I am all for it! :) But, that many babies can pose water quality issues as they get older so they will probably have to be removed at some point.

Juannie
11-22-2006, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll leave them in the tank - it's semi split in half, they do adventure out a little bit but it's not too bad as I have heaps of tiny hiding places. I shall look into passing them onto a pet store & if they still breed like rabbits, I think I'll set up a new tank.

Thanks very much!