PDA

View Full Version : A. Borellii or not.....

country_boy454
05-11-2008, 04:26 AM
So I took a much needed trip to the lfs today to get food supplies and more stress coat and to also get a pair of A. cacatuoides. To my disappointment they were out of a. cacatuoides but had some A. borellii. I decided to get all 4 of them to put into my fairly empty 42 gallon tank. Got a great deal on them I thought. They were selling them for $10.99 for one. I got all four for $25. Upon research when I got home I am having doubts that they are borellii. They look more like the steelblue variety. Which are hybrids. They have blue in the face and no other colors. One looks similar to http://farm1.static.flickr.com/124/378436465_d152f3f9c2.jpg but with a blue face....

Wish I had my camera to take a pic for you all but that was unfortunately stolen from me.

If I get a camera I will post pics of them. They are so cool looking!

Found a great vid of what they look like! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWJ7m4Hp37Q&feature=related
I have 3 that look identical to the male and one that looks like the female in the background.

Lady Hobbs
05-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Pretty. They will probably color up better when more comfortable in the tank.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=243

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/543.htm
As for identifying, I can't tell.

Yeaaaaaaaaa........I have DSL and can finally watch YouTube video's!

country_boy454
05-11-2008, 01:45 PM
I think I may just get a cheap digital camera to take a few pics. Congrats on the dsl Lady Hobs! I remember the feeling when going from dial up to dsl. It was AWESOME! Now in our new place we have cable and it is WOW compared to dsl. I got it mainly for my internet gaming but it is also nice for watching vids and uploading/ downloading pics!

gem
05-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Looks more like A. Pandurini

country_boy454
05-12-2008, 02:18 AM
I am thinking they are the steel blue variety but I definately have 1 female out of the 4. Which is supposed to be next to impossible to have as they are hybrids. That is what I have been reading anyways.

Today I noticed the female looking one of the 4 with a male digging a hole in the sand and rubbing all over each other and lip locking. Then they would go in the pit they made and rub the sand and then lip lock and rub against each other. I wish I had a camera to show everyone. It was so cool to watch it. They acted very much like my cons did when they would spawn. Now they are guarding that pit. I don't see any eggs but the sand is light in color.

Lady Hobbs
05-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Oh, Oh. Looks like you're gonna have a litter of fish. :)

Incredulous_Ed
05-12-2008, 04:15 PM
I am thinking they are the steel blue variety but I definately have 1 female out of the 4. Which is supposed to be next to impossible to have as they are hybrids. That is what I have been reading anyways.

Today I noticed the female looking one of the 4 with a male digging a hole in the sand and rubbing all over each other and lip locking. Then they would go in the pit they made and rub the sand and then lip lock and rub against each other. I wish I had a camera to show everyone. It was so cool to watch it. They acted very much like my cons did when they would spawn. Now they are guarding that pit. I don't see any eggs but the sand is light in color.
lol actually I was wrong. There are females. Anyway, if you fish are like that then it is sp. steelblue. Congrats on them mating already!

country_boy454
05-12-2008, 09:32 PM
lol actually I was wrong. There are females. Anyway, if you fish are like that then it is sp. steelblue. Congrats on them mating already!

I'm telling you guys its nuts! The A. Gibbicep I thought was a male I am now thinking it is a female because one of the male a. steelblue is trying to mate with it! They are guarding this little tiny clay pot I just put in there about 5 hours ago. They immediately took it over and started lip locking and what not! Must be something in the water cause my male and female betta are mating. He built a wonderfully huge bubble nest and she is fat with eggs. My cory's laid eggs last night(about 250), 4 of my endler females gave birth for a total of about 150 fry. Its nuts over here. I told my wife not to drink any of the water and she just gave me this odd look!

Minderella83
05-12-2008, 09:35 PM
I wish I had that luck. I fight to have babies.

Incredulous_Ed
05-13-2008, 02:00 AM
I'm telling you guys its nuts! The A. Gibbicep I thought was a male I am now thinking it is a female because one of the male a. steelblue is trying to mate with it! They are guarding this little tiny clay pot I just put in there about 5 hours ago. They immediately took it over and started lip locking and what not! Must be something in the water cause my male and female betta are mating. He built a wonderfully huge bubble nest and she is fat with eggs. My cory's laid eggs last night(about 250), 4 of my endler females gave birth for a total of about 150 fry. Its nuts over here. I told my wife not to drink any of the water and she just gave me this odd look!
My god I hate you. lol Im just playin. My dream is to breed apistos but I cant even find a pair lol. Good luck! they probably laid eggs. Best start hatching brine shrimp!

country_boy454
05-13-2008, 02:57 AM
Yeah I think I have started liking the Apisto family more and more as I look into them. I am in the process of finding a 55g. What I want to do is make it an apisto tank only.

Incredulous_Ed
05-13-2008, 04:20 AM
Yeah I think I have started liking the Apisto family more and more as I look into them. I am in the process of finding a 55g. What I want to do is make it an apisto tank only.
lol now i hate you even more, jk. That would be like a dream tank to me.

country_boy454
05-13-2008, 03:04 PM
When I find the right priced used one I am getting it. Then I will slowly get the stock for it. The list includes(all are trios): Apistogramma borelli, baenschi INKA, viejita Rio Meta, nijsseni, sp. Rotpunkt, Cacatuoides, Red Tail East CF, agassizi Double Red Tail. So far those are what my lfs can order for me.

Incredulous_Ed
05-13-2008, 04:28 PM
When I find the right priced used one I am getting it. Then I will slowly get the stock for it. The list includes(all are trios): Apistogramma borelli, baenschi INKA, viejita Rio Meta, nijsseni, sp. Rotpunkt, Cacatuoides, Red Tail East CF, agassizi Double Red Tail. So far those are what my lfs can order for me.
I would order online for those types. You can get Czech bred apistos on www.twofishguyz.com and sometimes their fish are on aquabid.

ApistoDave from aquabid has good fish, just pay for express mail, NOT priority.

country_boy454
05-13-2008, 06:04 PM
I would order online for those types. You can get Czech bred apistos on www.twofishguyz.com and sometimes their fish are on aquabid.

ApistoDave from aquabid has good fish, just pay for express mail, NOT priority.

I have been looking into the twofishguys a lot recently. I have read many many many bad things about apistodave such as paying more than needed to ship, parts of orders missing and taking weeks upon weeks to receive and having to pay for him to ship out what he didn't send in the first place.

I have heard some good things about him though. Many people were satisfied with the fish's health when they arrived. I don't know if I would take the risk of ordering ~$100 worth of fish and not receiving all the order then having to pay more $ for him to send them.

Incredulous_Ed
05-13-2008, 10:05 PM
I have been looking into the twofishguys a lot recently. I have read many many many bad things about apistodave such as paying more than needed to ship, parts of orders missing and taking weeks upon weeks to receive and having to pay for him to ship out what he didn't send in the first place.

I have heard some good things about him though. Many people were satisfied with the fish's health when they arrived. I don't know if I would take the risk of ordering ~$100 worth of fish and not receiving all the order then having to pay more $ for him to send them.
When i ordered from him on a saturday, he shipped the next tuesday. The problem I had was that I paid for priority rather than express, so the fish came on thursday, and were in bad shape. With twofishguyz you are going to pay more for shipping but their fish are amazing.

country_boy454
05-14-2008, 04:42 AM
When i ordered from him on a saturday, he shipped the next tuesday. The problem I had was that I paid for priority rather than express, so the fish came on thursday, and were in bad shape. With twofishguyz you are going to pay more for shipping but their fish are amazing.

I would get the fastest shipping possible even if it costs me an arm, a leg, and both my ears! Just to get the fish here asap and to reduce their stress.