PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Fungus

Juannie
11-21-2006, 04:31 AM
Hello everyone,
Just wondering if anyone know's how to get rid of fungus. I've got it on a black moor. It's clearing up because I've used salts and medication but as soon as this happens it comes back after a week. I've had a problem with fin rot in this tank as well which i medicated. We had rain here which affected water in my tanks when i did water changes, and since then I've had a constant problem in this tank with fungus & fin rot. I've done numerous water changes but it's not working either. Any suggestions would be most appreciated - all one pet store said to me was it wasn't worth spending the money on a goldfish when i could buy another cheap enough! Was not happy at all!

Lady Hobbs
11-21-2006, 06:06 AM
Apparently it's not clearing up completely. I'd give it a treatment, let the medication remain in the tank for a couple days, do a 25% water change then do another treatment. I used the Jungle fungus tads and they worked fine.

Do you have good filtration on the tank? Goldfish are pretty dirty so maybe a better filter is needed.

PaulasPets
11-21-2006, 09:03 AM
Sounds like you have some fungus left in the tank when you stop the medication. Have you followed the instructions for the mediacations closely? You will probably have to continue the treatment for a couple of days after you see the fungus has gone away. Adding a bit of aquarium salt to your tank will not hurt the fish, but works wonders against fungus and some other things you do not want in your aquarium.

Paula

Incredulous_Ed
11-21-2006, 11:15 PM
A goldfish of mine had the same problem, but it went away after I used medication. If you have a filter that uses carbon, you have to remove it and then put the meds in. generaly, you have to put the meds in once every 4 days and then you can put the carbon in again.
Just my two cents worth

Juannie
11-22-2006, 05:45 AM
Thanks guys, I've removed all the carbon, added salts, used two types of medication and repeated a few times & now pimafix for something different to try. It has cleared up then comes back a week later. This has been ongoing for about 6 weeks now - could be longer. I've done massive water changes. The water is still orange from the medication. I've got a canister filter on there, air pumps, uv filter and still troubles. There's only 4 fish in the tank and the tank is 4 foot. When I check the ammonia, pH levels etc they all seem fine. My black moor is still fighting so I'll keep trying.

I appreciate your help