PDA

View Full Version : DIY Simple Plastic Hood

LosC
05-09-2008, 03:24 AM
I want to make my own plastic hood for my 30g long. What kind of plastic should I use?

I want it to be a simple two piece hood with two or more hinges and a handle. Can someone guide me in the right direction via links or by there own experience?

cocoa_pleco
05-09-2008, 03:26 AM
i would imagine making your own plastic hood would be tough, you can make a wood canopy or get glass cut as a hood too

LosC
05-09-2008, 03:28 AM
glass or plastic, w/e is easier and cheaper.

cocoa_pleco
05-09-2008, 03:30 AM
glass is pretty easy, you just need 1 or 2 pieces (2 if you have a center brace) cut to the size, thats what i did for my 90g

PUNISHER VETTE
05-09-2008, 03:35 AM
I think it would be super easy....

Just go to the hardware store and find a piece of clear plastic that feels sturdy enough. They should come in a variety of widths and sizes. 3x3, 4x4...buy one that you can make 2 panels out of. Does your tank have a support in the middle for the plastic to rest on? if not make sure it's extra sturdy to make it across without bowing too much.

Just drill some super tiny holes to put some hindges and make sure you leave enough room in the back for your filters and wires to come up.

If you really wanted to you could cut out little holes for those pieces and have it go all the way to the back if you're really getting into it.

I'me sure they also make some slip on handles that go over the edge. If not you can probably screw another handle in or use some silicone so secure a handle.

I think the hardest part will be putting the hindges in. You need to find screws that are short so they don't go through the plastic but strong enough to support the panel without ripping out.

LosC
05-09-2008, 05:35 AM
I think it would be super easy....

Just go to the hardware store and find a piece of clear plastic that feels sturdy enough. They should come in a variety of widths and sizes. 3x3, 4x4...buy one that you can make 2 panels out of. Does your tank have a support in the middle for the plastic to rest on? if not make sure it's extra sturdy to make it across without bowing too much.

Just drill some super tiny holes to put some hindges and make sure you leave enough room in the back for your filters and wires to come up.

If you really wanted to you could cut out little holes for those pieces and have it go all the way to the back if you're really getting into it.

I'me sure they also make some slip on handles that go over the edge. If not you can probably screw another handle in or use some silicone so secure a handle.

I think the hardest part will be putting the hindges in. You need to find screws that are short so they don't go through the plastic but strong enough to support the panel without ripping out.

How about an attached plastic hinge instead? Checkout these lids on the candy barrels at a local bulk barn store. This is where I got my idea.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/43/100523516_8d4083dd9b.jpg?v=0

What do you think about something like this?

coachfraley
05-09-2008, 05:41 AM
Ju jubes....................yum!

Wild Turkey
05-09-2008, 07:08 AM
You need to find screws that are short so they don't go through the plastic but strong enough to support the panel without ripping out.

Nuts and bolts might work better, just pre-drill the holes

LosC
05-09-2008, 09:06 AM
What kind of plastic are those types of lids made of? What kind of glass would work? Should I worry about toxins getting into the water from a plastic hood?

PUNISHER VETTE
05-09-2008, 12:33 PM
I think anything strong enough to support it's own weight across the thing would work. You can use glass but you'll have to find something to dull the ends so they aren't sharp. I can see either one working easy but figured plastic doesn't break easy.

Yeah. If you can find a good adhesive that sticks to plastic you can attach the hinges and handle with it no problems i'm guessing.

Attaching hinges to glass is something i have no clue about so i'd stick to clear plastic.

xoolooxunny
05-09-2008, 02:10 PM
that candy looks pretty yummy, my mouth is watering now, thanks a lot!

Making a plastic canopy from Plexiglas shouldn't be too hard, the only thing i would be concerned about is the light fixture melting/burning it.

the glass canopy for your tank at thatpetplace is about 20 bucks, not too pricey if you want to go the easiest route.

MandyL
05-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Personally I wouldn't even bother with hinges... Just have a front and back piece, and lift the front piece out of place for feeding/maintenance.

Rick Debono
05-09-2008, 10:53 PM
I have a back piece of glass and a front piece of glass. I just lift up the front piece for feeding, etc.