PDA

View Full Version : Nitrites won't go down!

MDMAN
05-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Hey all,

I've been fishless cycling for a little over three weeks now. I started out adding ammonia and keeping it at 5ppm until I got my Nirtrite spike. Since then I've been adding a little each day to keep the bacteria alive. I got my Nitrite spike after a little less than a week and its showing no signs of coming back down. Is this normal or should I be seeing some progress? I am detecting nitrates, between 10 and 20, but Nitrites have been off the charts for two weeks. I'm getting anxious!

Also, I can add ammonia in the morning and by evening its all gone and I'm back to a 0ppm reading so I know I have the ammonia eating bacteria colony established!

PUNISHER VETTE
05-08-2008, 06:48 PM
NitrIte or nitrAte? If you have nitrItes then you're missing the bacteria that turn that into nitrAtes.

2 different bacteria are in a tank. ammonia oxidizing and nitrite oxidizing.

Since nitrite is the middle step you're missing one type of bacteria.

MDMAN
05-08-2008, 06:53 PM
NitrItes are still off the charts, I'm waiting for them to drop. But when I do a NitrAte test, I am getting readings between 10-20. I'm just wondering if I should be making more progress by now, the nitrItes have been up there for over two weeks.

smoochxoxo
05-08-2008, 06:55 PM
With a fishless cycle it may take up to 2 weeks I believe for NitrItes to go down. During a Nitrite spike is when you bring the 5 ppm ammonia down to 2 ppm...let the ammonia go to 0 then bring it back up to 2 ppm again. That is what I did anyhow...I saw Nitrites in my 10 gallon after about a week. Started at .25 then went up to 1ppm then disapeared!

I am wondering if a 10% or more water change might kick start things again? Maybe your cycle is stalled?
Gl let us know what is up!
Hugs

DragonGoby
05-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Do you aerate your tank? Some times it helps establishing the bacteria...
Other than that.... Don't know....
Have you done a water change recently? Or disturb the substrate?

MDMAN
05-08-2008, 07:04 PM
I put an airstone in to speed up the process about a week ago. Other than that I have added two pieces of driftwood and two java ferns since I started cycling and i was careful not to disturb the substrate.

fins_n_fur
05-08-2008, 07:09 PM
You are well on your way...just more patience is required on your part...this is where I nearly tore my hair out (if I had some to tear :hmm3grin2orange:). Keeping adding enough ammonia to keep ammonia at about 2-3 ppm every day to ensure there is enough for the bacteria to feed on. You should soon see nitrites starting to drop to zero along with the ammonia. Then you can do a massive water change to drop the nitrates. What is your heater set at? I'd get it to 85 degrees or a bit higher...that'll help. Don't any water changes...it won't stop the cycle, but it can slow it down. Good luck!

Wild Turkey
05-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Yea, you are getting there, it will happen soon. Try not to think about it too much, you'll drive urself crazy. lol

MDMAN
05-08-2008, 07:28 PM
You are well on your way...just more patience is required on your part...this is where I nearly tore my hair out (if I had some to tear :hmm3grin2orange:). Keeping adding enough ammonia to keep ammonia at about 2-3 ppm every day to ensure there is enough for the bacteria to feed on. You should soon see nitrites starting to drop to zero along with the ammonia. Then you can do a massive water change to drop the nitrates. What is your heater set at? I'd get it to 85 degrees or a bit higher...that'll help. Don't any water changes...it won't stop the cycle, but it can slow it down. Good luck!

My heater is at about 82, I'll crank it up a notch. I will continue being patient, that is what I wanted to hear, thanks!

smoochxoxo
05-08-2008, 07:34 PM
What is your ph? I have read somewhere that if you ph is too low it will actually stall your cycle. Something with the gh/kh that makes that happen. they also said that high nitrites will stall a cycle because it messes with your ph? I will see if I can find that information again. BUT whatever the readings since you don't have fish in it, it isn't harming anything by waiting it out either. Since you have trace amounts of Nitrates you are getting something chomping up the nitrites.

will post the info if I can find it again.
Hugs
Gl

MDMAN
05-08-2008, 07:39 PM
My ph is about 7.2, that shouldn't be too low to stall anything I wouldn't think.

smoochxoxo
05-08-2008, 07:46 PM
nope it isn't low at all, actually my test sheet says 7.0 is ideal so 7.2 is great for most anything I would think. i am still looking for that stinkin thread about the Nitrites stalling someones cycle.
When I cycled my ten I had a high nitrite level for a few days and did a smallllll water change (I have a fish in there) and brought the level back down to .25 and stayed like that for a few days and poof they were gone...so maybe you just need a few more days under the belt and they will vanish like mickey mouses business.

MDMAN
05-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Thats what I'm hoping, all I can do is wait!

easty-uk
05-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Are you using the Api master kit for testing ?

Regards

Tony

DragonGoby
05-09-2008, 12:40 PM
yeah, I'm pretty sure you're on the right way!!! Just some time, more patience... More time:hmm3grin2orange: ... And here come a new tank!!!

MDMAN
05-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Are you using the Api master kit for testing ?

Regards

Tony

Of course!

easty-uk
05-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Of course!

Reason I asked, through both my cycles the API Nitrate gave false readings..Way too low. It worked upto 40, then started showing much lower levels (5-10)... I was just wondering if you have had high levels of Nitrate showing, Higher than you have now ?

The only way for me to get a true reading while doing the cycle is to do a 10:1 test, then I got true readings..

Regards

Tony..

RainMan
05-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Try a 50% water change... sounds like your nitrites are through the roof. If you're ammonia is going down to 0 everyday.... then you're really close. You just might have too many nitrites for the bio system to process. And everytime you add ammonia you're essentially adding more nitrites now and building them up and up. I'm just thinking you might have built up way too many.

Your nitrates also lead me to believe that... if you're showing a lot of nitrates then your cycle should be done.

MDMAN
05-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Try a 50% water change... sounds like your nitrites are through the roof. If you're ammonia is going down to 0 everyday.... then you're really close. You just might have too many nitrites for the bio system to process. And everytime you add ammonia you're essentially adding more nitrites now and building them up and up. I'm just thinking you might have built up way too many.

Your nitrates also lead me to believe that... if you're showing a lot of nitrates then your cycle should be done.

I think thats whats happening, the tank eats through ammonia no problem. I'm going to wait until tomorrow and if I see no progress, 50 percent water change it is.

MDMAN
05-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Reason I asked, through both my cycles the API Nitrate gave false readings..Way too low. It worked upto 40, then started showing much lower levels (5-10)... I was just wondering if you have had high levels of Nitrate showing, Higher than you have now ?

The only way for me to get a true reading while doing the cycle is to do a 10:1 test, then I got true readings..

Regards

Tony..

Hmm, no extremely high levels. Its between 10-20 right now, and early last week I could detect them.

What is a 10:1 test?

easty-uk
05-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Well like I say, My Api master kit will only work upto 40 (for some reason)... So to get a true reading I do a 10:1 test... 10ml tap water to 1ml of tank water. Doing it this way I found I had NitrAtes OVER 100mg/l the 10:1 test gave a reading of 10mg/L. I think it is even higher than that...

I use the SERA liquid test, to test the NitrAtes now.

Regards

Tony.

Wild Turkey
05-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Well like I say, My Api master kit will only work upto 40 (for some reason)... So to get a true reading I do a 10:1 test... 10ml tap water to 1ml of tank water. Doing it this way I found I had NitrAtes OVER 100mg/l the 10:1 test gave a reading of 10mg/L. I think it is even higher than that...

I use the SERA liquid test, to test the NitrAtes now.

Regards

Tony.

Im thinking your test may have been a dud, or too old. My API works perfectly everytime, and while testing someone elses tank i got readings of 100 or so before.

Lady Hobbs
05-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Try a 50% water change... sounds like your nitrites are through the roof. If you're ammonia is going down to 0 everyday.... then you're really close.

I agree with the large water change (cleaning nothing.) Those nitrites can get stuck now and then and need a water change to kick them back in gear.

MDMAN
05-10-2008, 11:34 PM
I agree with the large water change (cleaning nothing.) Those nitrites can get stuck now and then and need a water change to kick them back in gear.

After checking the levels again today, still no progress. 50% water change it is!

smoochxoxo
05-10-2008, 11:53 PM
I hope this jump starts it back into action. GL
Hugs

MDMAN
05-12-2008, 01:11 AM
Well I did the 50% water change yesterday and checked the levels again today:

Ammonia was 0

Nitrites 5

Nitrates 20

The nitrates have gone up considerably, before the wc they were around ten, so I'm hoping I'll be done soon.

fastfly
05-12-2008, 01:27 AM
It sure does sound like you got some nitrite reducing bacteria reproducing now. GL

RainMan
05-12-2008, 01:36 PM
That's good new man... nothing like making progress! How we doing today?

MDMAN
05-12-2008, 11:18 PM
No change today, but I will keep waiting!

Also, how long can the ammonia eating bacteria live with no food? I want to let the nitrite eating bacteria catch up!

Lady Hobbs
05-13-2008, 01:02 AM
Two different bacteria's. Keep adding enough ammonia daily to keep that bacteria living. About 1-2 will be fine.

It takes longer for the nitrite eating bacteria to grow than the ammonia eaters. When they do start to move downward, they will go all at once within a day or two.

RainMan
05-13-2008, 01:33 PM
^ I agree with Hobbs... you still have to keep ammonia going (just less of it).

MDMAN
05-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Yes I know I need to keep adding ammonia, I was just wondering how long they can go without it and not die?

Update: The tank is still eating ammonia very quickly, 2 ppm one day and zero the next.

Nitrites are still off the charts.

Nitrates are now between 20 and 40, so I think I'm making progress.

RainMan
05-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Getting close now... What are your nitrites at? A few people had a hard time getting them down because they were too high. You can do a partial water change to dillute them back down if needed.

I wouldn't go more than 24hrs without adding ammonia. Definitely not 24hrs from zero ammonia reading and your next dose.

MDMAN
05-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Nitrites appear to be around 5. I have been adding ammonia when needed and will continue to do so.