PDA

View Full Version : wounded gourami

bradyln
11-20-2006, 04:47 AM
I am trying to breed my opaline gouramis. My female has been in the breeding tank for approx. a day now and the male has been chasing her around like crazy (male has been in for 3 days and he has not built a nest yet). I have just noticed that he is now hurting her. Her dorsal fin is missing a small part and her tail is looking slightly shredded. Should I keep her in there? I do have a few hiding spots for her. Is my 10 gal tank (half full) too small for them? They are great buddies in the communtiy tank, always with each other.
What should I do?

kimmers318
11-20-2006, 07:26 AM
I would venture to say that a 10 gal is too small for the "un"happy couple. Most recommendations for the small gourami (honey for example) say 15 gal, and the opaline get a bit larger than that. Not sure if it is possible for temporary breeding homes to be smaller, but in light of the fact that the misses is getting beat up, it probably isn't a good idea in this instance. I suggest you do some google researches pertaining specifically to breeding gourami and see what more info you can come up with.

bradyln
11-20-2006, 04:42 PM
I have been searching the net for numerous days and haven't come up with much. The LFS said use a 10 gal. for breeding purposes (for the opaline) and what I have come across on the net have stated the same in most cases. Though I did read last night that if the female is running from the male she most likely isn't ready to breed. So anyway I did remove the male and put him back in the 46 gal. community tank.
thanks