PDA

View Full Version : Training

RichBowyer
05-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Has anyone caught the videos on Yahoo news for the trained goldfish? I don't know how to link to yahoo news so here is the link for the training kit.
Pretty neat.

http://www.r2fishschool.com/

angelcakes
05-08-2008, 03:08 PM
here you go loads from you tube:19:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=trained+goldfish&search_type=

RainMan
05-08-2008, 05:19 PM
That's weird. No way do I have the patience or time for that. But, it is fun to watch!

MandyL
05-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Too cute!.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Pretty cool. Proves Goldfish are smarter than many people think. It's too bad this is going to encourage more and more people to keep Comets in tanks that are entirely too small though. There's already enough of that going on now, and it only serves to perpetuate the terrible idea that "they are only 25 cent fish so it doesn't matter if they die."

Overall thumbs down from me.

smaug
05-09-2008, 02:06 AM
I have a half dozen sarassa comets in my pond,the are such a cool fish and beautiful as well.But man do they get big.They are not suited to anything but a 150gal tank.

RainMan
05-09-2008, 02:42 AM
That is too bad... it sucks when people stick fish into a confined space. I cringe everytime I see the beta fish at stores.

But, if they are .25 cents... then people probably by them as feeders. And if they had to choose that or being another fish's food.... They probably would choose the circus act.

If you are keeping fish in an aquarium it is hard to justify your humanity... because if we all honestly meant to be humane to these fish, we would simply leave them in the wild. I struggle with that alot... anyone else?

smaug
05-09-2008, 02:49 AM
That is too bad... it sucks when people stick fish into a confined space. I cringe everytime I see the beta fish at stores.

But, if they are .25 cents... then people probably by them as feeders. And if they had to choose that or being another fish's food.... They probably would choose the circus act.

If you are keeping fish in an aquarium it is hard to justify your humanity... because if we all honestly meant to be humane to these fish, we would simply leave them in the wild. I struggle with that alot... anyone else?
What?My humanity is not in question and neither is yours.If you or I keep a fish in as close to its natural surroundings as possible there is nothing at all to call in to question whatsoever.The only thought I struggle with in my fishkeeping dutys are wishing I could keep more fish!:hmm3grin2orange:

RainMan
05-09-2008, 03:04 AM
yeah... but you can never make it as natural as their native habitat. But, I guess if it really bothered me I wouldn't be buying over a dozen fish next week. LOL

I had a moment.... and now it's gone. Thanks for getting me back on track smaug

I :1luvu: to !:4:

smaug
05-09-2008, 03:07 AM
yeah... but you can never make it as natural as their native habitat. But, I guess if it really bothered me I wouldn't be buying over a dozen fish next week. LOL

I had a moment.... and now it's gone. Thanks for getting me back on track smaug

I :1luvu: to !:4:
you are welcome .............:jaws: go eat a fish stick!

Gemini
05-09-2008, 05:39 AM
Size of the tank aside... do you think it's mean to teach them tricks? Would it be awful to get one of the R2 training kits? (I'm a sucker for anything new like this)

Edit: I don't mean that tanks should be too small or that it isn't important. I just wanted to look at the other side of whether they "should" be trained or if it is not very nice.

jbeining75
05-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Funny videos..... Food will make a goldfish do almost anything plus with photo editing you just never know if someone didn't have food in the goldfishes face. The slalom was impressive though.

Fishguy2727
05-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Actually training captive animals like that is one of the best things for them. If gives them something to do and focus on rather than just pace back and forth all day. I feel sorry for the goldfish on another goldfish forum I go to where the people take 'extra super care' by making it as easy to clean as possible (no substrate, no/minimal decor, etc.). The fish has nothing to do. Their fish need super high water quality because most are imported or are very fancy breeds that are U.S. bred, either way making them pretty sensitive to almost anything, even the air in sinking pellets in some cases. I think does a lot of harm to begin with. Mine have plants and sand to dig through, whatever they want to do. And I think my tank is at least as clean as any of their tanks.

Circus animals are not treated well at all in this country. I think the circus is potentially one of the best places for animals. Constant stimulation and new places to go and explore. Something to do all the time (work on new tricks, etc.). But in this country at least they are beaten, mistreated, neglected, malnourished, never allowed to be an elephant, horse, zebra, tiger, lion, etc., Just a living robot of a performer.

MandyL
05-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Size of the tank aside... do you think it's mean to teach them tricks? Would it be awful to get one of the R2 training kits? (I'm a sucker for anything new like this)

Edit: I don't mean that tanks should be too small or that it isn't important. I just wanted to look at the other side of whether they "should" be trained or if it is not very nice.

Mental stimulation and working for their food would never hurt. The only thing that concerns me is it seems that as the fish gets bigger it is rubbing quite hard against the equipement (for the limbo one, the tunnel, and probably the slalom). I wouldn't want to make the fish rub his slime coat off just trying to get more treats.