PDA

View Full Version : What fish to put in pond?

Mvjnz
05-08-2008, 06:38 AM
I have recently discovered that we have a pond which would be suitable for fish. It's dry at the moment, full of grass and working as compost... It's not very big either, about 200 litres, but that size is good for me, I don't want a huge project..

So what fish could I put in it? I'm thinking 2 shubunkin goldfish, but if there's anything else which is as hardy and colourful, I'd like to know about it. Thanks:)

angelcakes
05-08-2008, 07:38 AM
koi carp,shubunkin as you suggested,sturgeon??? orfe,tench,rudd,theres a few to think about:19:

Mvjnz
05-08-2008, 11:57 AM
I'll look into those, thanks:)

DragonGoby
05-08-2008, 12:14 PM
I've seen one wonderful koi (and most of the time I don't like koi...) it's name a "butterfly koi"... But I don't know if 200L is enough for those fish... The one I've saw was at a big LFS, it was completly white... Really gorgeous...

Mvjnz
05-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Yeah, koi are kewl, but I'm afraid my pond is far from big enough:(

DragonGoby
05-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Too bad.... And I don't know that many fish for the pond....
I've heard that sometimes you can put sailfin mollies in a pond... Or Paradise fish (Macropodus opercularis)...

Best of luck!

Mvjnz
05-09-2008, 03:06 AM
Paradise fish is an interesting thought:) I'd go with swordtails, except I've had it with livebearers. Just got rid of my last mollies yesterday because I got sick of rehoming babies. So no livebearers for me.

smaug
05-09-2008, 03:11 AM
That only 50 gallons,way small for a pond.About as big as you would want to go for fish would be comets or common golfish and even then ,no more the 24 total inches of fish.You will need a filter that circulates at least 8oolitres per hour as well.

Mvjnz
05-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Yeah, I know that.

DragonGoby
05-09-2008, 12:42 PM
If you try the paradise fish, would you show us some pics? I always wanted to have some, but can't find them... And decided to have something else instead!:c2:

Mvjnz
05-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Sure, I'm taking photos as I'm preparing it all. At the moment the little pond is in a very overgrown corner of our garden. I don't think it's been touched at all for at least 3 years:) So I have to get rid of heaps of weed and trim some palm trees etc. Should be done in a few days. Then I have to fill the thing and see if it's waterproof. It's wood you see, and has had water in it before, but not for the last 3 yrs or so. The wood might need to soak up some water to become waterproof again, or I might just get some pond liner. Then I have to get a filter up and running of course, and cycle the thing, which will be the most boring part o_O

Then it's time for fish:)

DragonGoby
05-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Perhpas you can make a thread on "how I made my home pond"? This way it'll be less boring when it comes to the cycling part... We will all waiting for it!!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Mvjnz
05-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Good thinking:)

graceluvsplatys
05-10-2008, 07:51 PM
I think that a feeder goldfish pond would be cool.... and, if there are any larger, more colorful fish that would work...
it would be like a splash of color in a sea of white and gold..
very cool

Mvjnz
05-11-2008, 01:21 AM
You mean get feeder goldfish to put in it? That's what I was thinking too, I was told that there's a store nearby which uses the red and white ones as feeders and they are really cheap:)