PDA

View Full Version : Cichlid Food

Cichlid*Newbie
05-07-2008, 12:52 PM
So my cichlids love cucumber, they devour it in no time. Do lots feed cichlids fresh food like that?! Is it good for them?! I also recieved my NLS, which they love..and ammonia is finally lowered, it stays around .5 now...better than the 1 it was levelling out at....

cocoa_pleco
05-07-2008, 02:02 PM
if theyre herbivores, veggies are good for them. the majority of Mbuna are herbivores so its good for them. for other omnivore cichlids, veggies every once in a while are okay

RainMan
05-07-2008, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't make it a staple food anyway... that NLS should be your daily food. Cucumber contains very little nutritional value. I feed peas about once or twice a week. I wouldn't even do it, but have heard a lot of people claim they are good for cichlid/fish digestion. I also like to feed shrimp once a week too... in the wild they eat small amounts of similar food. They are not true vegetarians (herbivores).... They totally go nuts over shrimp.

Incredulous_Ed
05-07-2008, 04:48 PM
I ould just fed the NLS. What type of cichlid are they?

Fishguy2727
05-07-2008, 04:57 PM
The NLS is perfect to feed all the time, even for sensitive digestion systems like mbunas and frontosas because the ingredients are so easily digestible. However, mbunas can get very aggressive and food to graze on all the time can help reduce that. If there is green algae on the glass, rocks, PVC, etc. that helps. Other veggies to graze on throughout the day can help too.

I would not suggest feeding any meaty foods to mbunas because they can cause problems. Just because they will eat something does not make it good for them. Frequently this is a sign that the food in question is a rarity in nature that the body needs but cannot naturally get a lot of (why mbunas like meaty foods, birds like seeds, or we like anything fatty).

RainMan
05-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Actually... I have to agree with fishguy. I have to get out of the habbit of feeding shrimp. I'll stop bringing it up from now on. I shouldn't recommend my bad habbits. :(

Anyone ever feed those freeze dried kelp strips? The ones that you can sink down to the bottom or stick to the glass with a bag clip.

Cichlid*Newbie
05-07-2008, 05:18 PM
I ould just fed the NLS. What type of cichlid are they?

Kenyi & Red Zebras

Cichlid*Newbie
05-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Im hoping this NLS food will be better than the wardley...they didn't like the pellets in that brand...but the NLS they gobble up...ya i haven't fed a lot of cucumber or anything, but just to see them go nuts i drop a piece in once in a while..i do need to get something to anchor it..i kinda stuck a piece under a rock but if floats up when they start eating it...other than that i'll give them some dried krill once in a while.

Incredulous_Ed
05-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Actually... I have to agree with fishguy. I have to get out of the habbit of feeding shrimp. I'll stop bringing it up from now on. I shouldn't recommend my bad habbits. :(

Anyone ever feed those freeze dried kelp strips? The ones that you can sink down to the bottom or stick to the glass with a bag clip.
Ive heard some good things about those.

Fishguy2727
05-07-2008, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't do the dried krill, it could cause problems.

You can either rubberband the cucumber to a small rock or use plant anchors.

RainMan
05-07-2008, 09:44 PM
I second the krill... it is gross anyway... stinks and fowls up the water. I imagine it is way too much for their digestion too. Most of my mbuna turned their noses up at it anyway. I haven't bought it since... it's been years. (another lfs recommendation down the tubes)

RainMan
05-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Fishguy.. you have any opinions on that dried kelp strips? Comes in a shiny sack container.

Fishguy2727
05-08-2008, 01:20 AM
I think that would be fine as a supplement like the cucumber as long as NLS is at least 90% of the diet.