PDA

View Full Version : Bolivian rams

MelonMan
05-07-2008, 07:27 AM
i want to get two of these. should i get a male and female or two females are they compatible with fish in 20 gallon and any other information would be great. they have really healthy specimens in my lfs and they have been there for a while and they look beautiful.

Kaga's Kritters
05-07-2008, 11:52 AM
i have one and he is very calm and laid back. i did have another one that died for some reason. at first they sparred a little to establish dominance, but after that they got along. I am not sure if they are/were male or female. Sexing them is different than sexing german rams. I think some bolivians would be ok with you current fish. Bolivians are not really aggressive at all unless they feel the need to be. Just keep an eye on them at first to make sure everyone is getting along ok. Also your tank is pretty full already, so make sure you have good filtration and keep up with your water changes if you add more fish.

Incredulous_Ed
05-07-2008, 04:39 PM
I would get 1 male and 2 females. They generally leave other fish alone, but chase each other around. I havent seen any serious damage done though.

MelonMan
05-08-2008, 05:41 AM
is there abything wrong with getting 1 or 2? the murray river rainbows are only temporary and my filter is 1000 litres per hour

Incredulous_Ed
05-08-2008, 05:44 AM
You could go with 1 male and 1 female. I just perfer to have 2 females to one male, so the aggresion is more spread out.

Kaga's Kritters
05-08-2008, 10:31 AM
i thought sexing bolivian rams wasn't very easy. i know the germans you can sex by their top fin, but i heard you cant do that with the bolivians. so how do you know you are getting a male and 2 females

jbeining75
05-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Bolivians color amazingly. The males get a brilliant coloration. Definetely a great fish.

Incredulous_Ed
05-08-2008, 03:37 PM
i thought sexing bolivian rams wasn't very easy. i know the germans you can sex by their top fin, but i heard you cant do that with the bolivians. so how do you know you are getting a male and 2 females
The only real way to tell is by the breeding tubes; Males are poited back, and females are blunt.

After keeping them a while you can tell also by the shape of the head and fin extensions.

MelonMan
05-09-2008, 07:29 AM
so do you think 1 male and 1 female will be allright because ill be getting them and its good to see other people think that their great fish. ill google to see how to better sex them thanks.

Incredulous_Ed
05-09-2008, 05:17 PM
so do you think 1 male and 1 female will be allright because ill be getting them and its good to see other people think that their great fish. ill google to see how to better sex them thanks.You probably arent goignt to find very good info about that, lol. Try this link: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=142702&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0