PDA

View Full Version : can i add some of them little neon tetras??

cyane
11-19-2006, 10:20 AM
ok i wanna know if i can add some of them little neon tetras to my 55 gallon tank?? i still have my 6 angels, 7 swordtails, 5 platies. if i can add the neon tetras, how many can i put in?? my dad said neon tetras are aggresive little fish and are fin nippers.....any help would be greatly appricaited.

Lady Hobbs
11-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Your dad would be wrong. Neons are too small to be aggressive. They're not going to go after a fish 10 times it's size. Some angels consider neons food but many have kept them together very successfully. Give them lots of hiding spaces in case, maybe some floating plants? Neons are prettiest if you have A LOT of them and try to get the Jumbo neons. Larger and maybe more hardy. These "big boys" get about one inch. :)

Fishguy2727
11-19-2006, 01:30 PM
Neons only work with angels if they have been with the angels since the angels were too small to eat them. Add any now and the angels won't recognise the individuals and will eat them.

Neithan
12-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Are you by any chance referring to Cardinal tetras with "jumbo neon"? If so, they go much better with angels than neons, due to their size. Also the temperature would be better for them, as they like somewhat warmer waters than neons. They can easily be kept in the temperatures a betta requires for instance, as a hint for those of you who like both neon tetras and bettas.

Any tetra that is large and high should go well with an angel, as long as they aren't too small when introduced to the tank.

Lady Hobbs
12-12-2006, 01:40 PM
No. Cardinals and Neons are different fish. Angels or Betta's will often go after fish that are "torpedo" shaped as they are food for them. As reptileguy said, they should be raised together and even then it may be iffy as Angels temperaments may change.

Neithan
12-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Hmm, in that case I have no idea what a jumbo neon is o.O Never heard of it, never seen it... any links to specific data on them?

Fishguy2727
12-12-2006, 03:52 PM
It is simply a large neon. It is not a separate species or anything, just neons that have already grown larger than what you may be able to find.

Neithan
12-12-2006, 05:00 PM
*hits head on wall*

So just a more mature neon? An older neon? Gah! =P

jeffs99dime
12-12-2006, 05:11 PM
yeah. they're just grown-up neons. that's all