PDA

View Full Version : German blue Ram question

Gillibeanz
05-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Hi all

wonder if anyone can answer my question please. I have x 2 blue rams both of which im pretty sure are female although its hard to tell because every site I have read gives you different advise on how to sex them and they all seem to contradict each other!

However one of them has laid eggs twice now. My question is if they are both females would they lay eggs anyway or would this only happen if i have a pair? The eggs didnt hatch but they are both young and I have read that this may take several goes!

Algenco
05-06-2008, 01:52 PM
yes, 2 females can act as a pair and lay eggs.

A simple search here would have found the answer to sexing GBR

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=21082

Gillibeanz
05-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Thank you very much

Blue Guppy
05-27-2008, 09:46 PM
My pair of GBR spawned a few weeks ago and the frys have hatched and are now past the infusoria ration stage. The tank where the eggs hatched (I removed the drift where the pair spawned and transferred it to a small tank for hatching) is being aerated by an airstone but despite doing frequent water changes, the water is still high on nitrates. More frys are dying and I am contemplating of getting a sponge-type filter to filter the water from these harmful nitrates. Will the sponge filter suck the frys into it? Any advice will help. thanks

LosC
05-27-2008, 10:12 PM
I've heard most filters will kill fry, not sure about sponge filters. Also, fry won't survive in high pH levels. Mid to upper 7 range will almost certainly kill them.

Algenco
05-28-2008, 12:16 AM
I use sponge filters in all of my fry tanks, baby Rams will not tolerate high nitrates. I do 50% wc daily on my baby Rams

Halelorf
05-28-2008, 02:10 AM
A sponge filter won't filter out nitrates. It will serve as a place for bacteria to grow that will break down ammonia and nitrite into nitrate. You need to do water changes to get nitrates down. The sponge filter won't suck up fry, they are great for baby tanks.

Fishguy2727
05-28-2008, 02:30 AM
Sponge filters are ideal for fry and breeding tanks.

There are many ways to sex blue rams.
The males have/are:
larger
fin ray extensions on the dorsal and anal fins
more colorations
more robust

However the one thing that I find most reliable is the presence of the purple belly on the females. Males will never have this and even in most dull colored females in dealers' tanks it is visible. The other factors all rely on them being in very good condition, which greatly limits how well they can be used.

Algenco
05-28-2008, 02:41 AM
there are 2 basic ways to keep nitrates low.
#1 A mass of fast growing plants
#2 large , frequent water changes

Fishguy2727
05-28-2008, 02:43 AM
Fry seem to benefit from live plants. They create a great sheltered area for them. Even then water changes are needed, just not necessarily as much.

Blue Guppy
05-28-2008, 05:48 AM
Thanks to all for the many advices. I will go ahead and purchase a new set of sponge filter and do frequent water changes. My remaining frys are almost a month old and are close to being 3/4" . Should have asked this question long before. From the time my pair spawned, there was about 50 frys that hatch out of a possible 80 or so eggs, but despite the freqent water change I did, frys keep dying one by one and now down to 4 left but these 4 I think will hold up since they are large enough compared to the others that were a bit smaller. I have another pair that seems to be ready to spawn so I'll follow your advices and hope to raise a larger number of frys. Many thanks again, you guys and gals are great!

:19: